Afirma molecular testing for indeterminate diagnosis

• 3 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi there

i have two nodules on either side of my thyroid which came back as thy3f after biopsy. This result falls into indeterminate group. Has anyone here tried Afirma molecular test to rule out surgery? At the moment I got recommended diagnostic thyroidectomy. I’m looking to avoid the operation if it is unnecessary and if I can get a more conclusive result. Has anyone ever done it? What was your experience with it?

• Hello  

I have just noticed your post has not received any answers. I can't answer it myself as I have a different cancer, however by me replying it will be "bumped" back to the top of the forum. There it should come to the attention of other Community members and I hope you receive some answers to your question.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• I suspect it's getting no response because the answer is that nobody has had this. 
    I don't believe it's available in the UK.

But, I'm not an expert, so I would recommend contacting Kate at Butterfly Thyroid Trust and checking with her whether it's available in the UK.

Best wishes

Barbara

“Scars are tattoos with better stories.” – Anonymous

• Hello again Barbara, 

I’ve searched online to no avail. I emailed Veracyte, Afirma and got no reply from them.

I found a clinic in Italy that does ThyroSeq but I’m aware that there are probably a lot of people wishing to cash in on other people’s misery. I absolutely have no confidence in the Italian clinic I found. 

i will definitely contact Kate. Is it straightforward to find her contact details on butterfly thyroid trust?