[30M] Thyroid/Neck ultrasound results. Should I be worried?

• 14 replies
  • 26 subscribers

I got an ultrasound due to an enlarged lymph node I can feel on the right side of my neck. These are the results that just got uploaded online. Doctor has scheduled a follow-up neck CT and thyroid dedicated ultrasound. Any feedback on this?:

Results:

1. There are three sonographically abnormal appearing right level 2 nodes. These nodes do correlate with the palpable abnormality. These nodes do demonstrate an echogenic hila. However, the cortex of the nodes are thickened, mildly lobular and more hypoechoic than typically seen. The largest of these nodes measures 3.5 x 1.1 x 2.7 cm. While these nodes could be reactive, other etiologies not excludable. Clinical correlation advised.

2. In the left neck, there are two adjacent sonographically abnormal appearing lymph nodes. These nodes have a different appearance from the right-sided nodes and do not have a definable hilum and demonstrate a heterogenous echotexture. The largest left sided node measures 2.5 x 0.8 x 1.0 cm.

3. The left lobe of the thyroid is heterogenous with numerous small specular reflectors as well as a complex cystic nodule in the lower pole measuring up to 4 cm. This nodule meets biopsy threshold criteria. Would consider dedicated thyroid ultrasound as well as CT of the neck to further evaluate as clinically appropriate.

• Hi, very new to all of this and first time posting, I've got surgery tomorrow, having thyroid and neck disection, any tips welcome. Trying to stay as positive as possible but very scared. X

• Hi For this, just seen your post. Hope your surgery went ok? How are you? It certainly is scary but it's good you say you're trying to stay positive. And good you've joined the forum.

I got frustrated with how slow I was healing after my surgery, so my biggest tip would be just to take things slowly and set yourself small realistic goals to celebrate inwardly. Don't listen to those around you who “think you should be doing this or that by now”, listen to your Medical Team and your body. In hindsight I now realise just how different everybody's surgery is (even if it has the same name) and how we all heal very differently.

I never fully understood the expression “be kind to yourself” until I had cancer. So do that, be kind to yourself. And do let us know how you're getting on. Any questions you have there's a whole host of incredibly kind, knowledgeable people on the forum who will pop on and answer but it may be best to start a new thread so it gets seen.

Oh and just ignore those around you that insist on telling you Uncle Fanny's Aunt's cousin had thyroid cancer surgery and was running marathons straight after!! I'm sure they probably think they're being helpful Smiley X

• Hi For This, I hope all went well today? I had my completion surgery  just over 2 weeks ago and feeling very tired! Just go with how you feel from day to day. I went back to work after 3 weeks last operation in November and it was too soon! I don’t feel like driving at the moment and feel quite emotional this time round. I am looking to get some support from a local cancer charity. Don’t over do it the first week. If you are in pain or discomfort ask for pain relief if in hospital we are all different in how we react to surgery and the anaesthetic. You are allowed to feel scared, if you can’t talk to those close to you contact the staff on this site or a similar charity and be kind to yourself as K9crazy said.

• I have my hemi op on Tuesday and my MiL literally said this, so and so had it a few weeks ago and is doing 10k runs! I'm just taking an hour at a time, small steps until its (hopefully) over with.