Hemi thyroidectomy imminent!

• 18 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I’m a bit nervous about posting on here but I just wanted some post surgery advice…

I am 25, and recently found out I have a Thy4 nodule (that I have called Terry!) and am due to have my Hemi Thyroidectomy next Thursday. My pre-op is in a couple of days but just wanted some advice from others on what their best advice is post surgery… How long was your recovery? What worked best for you for a comfortable-ish recovery etc? 

I’m feeling okay on the whole, as I just want Terry taken out, but I am starting to get a bit nervous as the date comes closer. 

Thank you everyone x 

• Thanks Rosie. I’ll pack some PJs just incase. Good luck with the surgery and let us know how you get on x

• Likewise BlushHeart️ hope it all goes okay for you x 

• Hi Lydia,

Wow - sounds like you had a rollercoaster ride but so glad you had a positive experience post-surgery. Thank you for sharing your story with me, I really appreciate it Heart️ 

I hope you continue to feel better, all the best for the future x 

• Hi everyone Grinning I had my Hemi on Thursday (30th June) so I’m a few days post op.

I’m feeling well overall… It was really painful to swallow/burp/cough/yawn for a couple of days but today I’ve really noticed a difference, I feel it’s massively improved. The actual area isn’t painful at all, I am on paracetamol and Codeine managing absolutely fine. In myself I am just feeling tired but that was always going to be the case. It’s strange, I wake up in the morning and feel really awake, and by the afternoon I am exhausted, when all I’m doing is watching Netflix!

I was admitted into surgery at 9am and home by 10pm so a long day but luckily no overnight stay which I was so pleased about.

Thank you all for your advice; the V shaped pillow has been a life saver and would 1000% recommend to anyone due to have surgery! I got mine from Amazon, I think it was under £10 too. Warm drinks, lots of rest & sleep all needed too. Thank you everyoneHeart️ 

Rosie Heart️xx

• Hi Rosie

Im so pleased you’re feeling ok and everything went well. Mines is Tuesday so your post has really helped me. 
    Take care xx

• Glad to here all went well. Hope you have a speedy recovery. 

• Good luck for Tuesday, let me know how yours goesHeartHeart️ You’ll smash it xx