Anyone had issues with fast heart rate?

• 2 replies
  • 21 subscribers

Hi,

Just wondering if any of you have had this issue before

I had a TT December 2020 and RAI in February. After my TT I was put on 150mcg of Levothyroxine and this was upped to 175mcg about 7-8 weeks ago when they found my TSH wasn’t suppressed enough.

In the last week or so I’m having dreadful issues with my heart rate. At first I just picked this up through a fitness watch but I’m starting to feel it physically now. 

My usual heart rate at rest is in the low 60’s but this has jumped by 20-30 BPM and it can now go up to 120bpm even if I’m just walking at normal pace, and can take a long time to recover back to normal when I sit down. I’m also feeling very anxious, can’t sit still or concentrate on anything which isn’t ideal given I’m a desk worker.

I didn’t think this would be due to my higher dose of levothyroxine given that it changed a couple of months ago and is only hitting me now, however I did read that these hormone levels can take a while to update after a dose change.

Obviously I don’t want to go back down and risk an increase in TSH however I’m wondering if they could give me a beta blocker or something? 

• Hi, 

I think you're right that it can take a while for the dose/levels to settle, maybe 6-8 weeks.( I could be mistaken. )

I remember I was on I think it was called liothyronine T3 replacement for a month or 2 before before I had RAI, it gave me palpitations. No idea what dosage I was on, but it was short lived because I came off all medications before the RAI and then after went on T4.

If you're feeling unwell you could always ask for your bloods to be taken again and see where your levels are now? Also GP and consultant might have differing opinions on your dose. My consultant overuled my gp more than once. 

It did take a while for me to get a dose that works for me. I alternate 100/125 daily, but doses vary so much person to person.

Hope you feel better soon

• Hi. I had the same issues with a fast heartbeat and after starting on 175mcg my does was reduced to 150 mcg. For the last 8 weeks I have been taking 125mcg on 2 days per week Impact is that my tsh has stayed well suppressed and my T$H has come back within range at 17. One other possibility is that your immune system is still recovering from your recent RAI. I am 7 months from my RAI and only now feel my system is settling down.