High dose stem cell transplant

• 11 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi all, just wondering has anybody been through or know anybody who’s done the high dose chemo & stem cell transplant for testicular cancer?

• Hi Sarah 

Sorry I’m only seeing you’re message now. I done 2 cycles of high dose chemo & stem cell transplant. I was in hospital for approx 3 weeks each time. It’s tough going to be honest. It’s 4 days of chemo which I found ok (I’ve had BEP & TIP also and I’ve never been sick so I suppose I’m lucky enough that way) followed by a rest day then on 5th day you get your stem cells back which is when things got tricky for me. High temperatures & fevers etc and also had to get a few blood transfusions. I didn’t do the 3rd cycle as the area of concern behind my tummy up near back was still not playing ball with the chemo. I’ve since had major surgery in London to remove it which was what I wanted even before I started the high dose chemo but consultants wanted to go with chemo first. The surgery went well they’ve removed what they wanted. I’ve a bit of radiotherapy to do in next few weeks on the site of the surgery then all being well that’s me and I can put it behind me. I’ve had a tough few years but still here and feeling good now. So tell your husband to keep ploughing away and it’ll all work out eventually.