Pet scan showed some active cancer after 4 rounds of BEP

• 3 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Anybody had to go through a second chemo treatment after completing BEP? Tumour markers had plateaued at 7.4 last month after my CT scan which was a month after my treatment finished so chemo was obviously still in system. Had pet scan last week but it showed some active cancer & tumour markers have increased to 14. Starting a new 4 cycle chemo on Monday coming just wondering if anybody been through the same. As usual the first thing comes to my head after hearing news about active cancer is death. Absolute shit show this disease but have to be positive.

• Hi

I'm sorry to read that you've recently discovered you need to have a second treatment with chemotherapy. I don't have any experience with this but I noticed that your post hadn't had any responses yet.

I realise this is probably a worrying time for you and if you wanted to ask any further questions about your treatment you could post a question in the ask a nurse section of the online community. One of the online nurses will aim to reply within 2 working days.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Wishing you all the best with your upcoming treatment.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Mcdcel, 

There are people in this forum who went trough chemo beyond BEP and the majority of them are still alive and living life to fullest :) So please do not start thinking about death just yet as a bit more fight for you (which won`t be easy) and you will be back stronger! For me BEP was the second chemo treatment as in first instance I went trough Carboplatin adjuvant chemo. Than a year later BEP as i relapsed. But i remember people here who got TIP and other chemo`s after BEP or EP didn`t work and I still see them replying on threads here!

Please keep up the fighting spirit! Hopefully someone will join this thread who has experience with chemo beyond BEP! 

All the best! 

Huni

• Hi There

I was diagnosed last July with a Mediastinal  Germ Cell Tumour in my chest (form of testicular  cancer) my AFP was 20,600 at the start of my CBOP-BEP treatment , did 4 cycles of BEP. AFP dropped  to 17 but we didn't quite get there. Has major surgery  in Feb and they removed 90% of the tumour,  mostly dead tissue but as it was stuck to a major vein they couldn't get it all. My AFP has risen to 55 so I'm now going to under take TIP to get the last of this little bast**

.  We know this kind of cancer is very responsive to chemotherapy and thre are a number of effective treatments avaliable. 

From my perspective in know the TIP will be tuff, I'm 58 and the CBOP-BEP (17 weeks) really  crushed me but I bounced back fairly quick and I'm sure I'll get through the TIP, doc has said he may even use radiotherapy  post TIP to make sure

So stick with the plan, it's the most survivable type of cancer and even if it spreads or reoccurrence takes place it can usually be beaten

Good luck