Sickness and loss of appetite

• 2 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hi all,

My 11yo was diagnosed with T-Cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma at the start of February. He's struggled on and off with treatment and infections but mostly with sickness and loss of appetite. He wakes up feeling sick every day and it's a fight to get him to eat anything. He's supposed to be on 4 liquid feeds a day but is saying they make the sickness worse. 

Any advice on what kind of foods to try with him or anything that can help with sickness? He's on anti sickness meds already and under a dietician due to his weight loss. I'm just a bit stuck on what to try at home.

Thanks Slight smile

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us and especially to hear about your son. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups.

I am assuming that he has anti-sickness meds…. most likely getting to take any meds will be a challenge. I found that during my years of treatment we had to change the meds a few times as one size did not always fit….. and I have to say that in my mind I had convinced myself that taking meds was going to make me sick…. 

Like all children….. they tend to eat what they want and often it’s not what we would want them to eat….. I was not eating for a good 4 months after my second Stem Cell Transplant and just lived on soup with lots of double cream and lots of ice cream…… I also found some good protein bars in Tesco and forbid them helpful…… this will pass ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• We're on our third anti sickness med change and this one seems the best by far but  he's convinced himself it will make him sick taking anything. He has an NG tube for meds and feeds so anything going through it sets him off. Sometimes the psychological side is the hardest to deal with. 

I'll try protein bars, I hadn't thought of them. I've cream too. Thank you for the suggestions Heart