Diagnosis and treatment

• 5 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi Mike and thanks.

ive been treated for more years than I care to remember for psoriasis and eczema,  without any success. Things changed over the last year or so and raised lumps appeared which have become more evident, painful, harder to hide,  biopsies have been taken, apparently something was noted with my t cells, and some swelling of the lymphnodes in my groin was also recorded.

I have been treated and seen by my dermatology team, infact 9 of them on the last occasion, checked all the areas of concern, ask me lots of questions.

After conferring, Cutaneous t cell llymphoma was muted as a possible cause, and I guess it gave enough concern in that a MDT meeting was arranged to discuss my case with the cancer team, which is scheduled for tomorrow, 

Has anyone experienced similar, how and when a diagnosis is actually provided, basically i haven't a clue what happens next.

I'm accepting of the fact, something clearly isn't right, but the waiting and unknown definitely takes its toll.

Thanks

• Hi again  and well done navigating across to this rather unique corner of the community.

It’s getting late so my mind is not that switched on Wink but you may want see my story…… it is rather complicated but you can see my story in this link (my story)

I had to have various treatments over my 23+ years but I am 8.5 years out from my last treatment, turning 68 last Nov and am living a great life.

Do come back to me with any questions you have.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi again  …… do you live in Ayrshire?…… anyways good morning.

CTCL…… is a complicated type of slow growing Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

You will see for this CTCL link there are a few different types of Skin NHLs…… so it is important that the pathology is done to get your type pinpointed. 

As you said you most likely have been living with it for years….  this is often the case with CTCL sufferers…… Dermatologist can work their whole career and not see someone with a CTCL.

15 years back I was invited by my great Derm to the yearly Scottish Dermatology Society get together in Inverness….. and out of 65 Derms only 3 had seen CTCL.

My type is MF……. this is a 7 in a million rare type and on the whole you can continue to live and work a normal life around it….. I worked in a demanding dedication job on a full timetable until I retired.

Sir Murray Walker of F1 fame lived to his mid 90s and only had a little treatment and BA Baracus (Mr T) of the original A Team is still going strong with his MF….

My story turns challenging as unfortunately I was one of the very few people where I also developed the more aggressive Peripheral T-cell lymphoma not otherwise specified (PTCL-NOS) 

So we had to become aggressive in our approach….   But as I said I am 8.5 years out from my last treatment and doing great.

Do come back with your questions ..,,, I may be slow in answering at the moment as we are down in Surrey for our number 3 of 4 granddaughters 8th birthday today but I will pick up your reply at some point.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike for sharing, you certainly have been through the mill to put it mildy. I didn't fully appreciate the rarity of the condition,  this explains why the entire dermatology team were so kean to examine me.

I've read there are loads of variants, I guess each treatment will be aligned with each type of the condition. 

It does seem to have spread rather quickly of late, which is obviously concerning and causes a few sleepless nights. 

Despite this im ready to take it on , just wish I knew what that was. 

I'll definitely keep in touch, and thanks again for your assistance , definitely most helpful and informative . 

I guess I await the call and simply take it from there.

And yes I'm Ayrshire through and through lol.

Thanks Mike

• Hi - have you had some areas biopsied?…… as this is the only way to get a clearly diagnose of CTCL…… as you will have seen my Derm was 99% sure as to my diagnosis but it took a full year and 6 biopsies to get the truth.

I have meet a lot of folks with CTCL over the years both on here but more so through Lymphoma Action….. I also volunteer with LA covering CTCL

Lymphoma Action is the only UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of good reliable information, videos..... basically all things Lymphoma....... pre, during and post treatment.

They run regular Support Platforms including a specific group covering Skin Lymphomas (I unfortunately can’t attend these groups as I have other long term commitment's).……. I highly recommend these groups as there is nothing better than talking with others who have walked the journey.

They also have a great Lymphoma Action Buddy Service where people can be linked up with someone who has walked the same treatment journey……. this includes CTCL Wink

They also have a Lymphoma helpline on 0808 808 5555 where you can talk with someone and get support - open every week day from 10 till 3.

If you have a spare 30 mins you can listen to a podcast that I did along with another person living with MF - Don't walk the journey by yourself - Mike and Kasia

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• So sorry to hear of this. So, you have received a clear diagnosis? There are non-cancerous lymphoproliferative conditions that mimic lymphoma, but if a malignancy has been found, then a different tack must be taken. The majority of cutaneous lymphoma cases, at least over here in the states, are referred to hematology/oncology by dermatologists who have reached wit's end.

If a particular variant has been identified, then a bit of study into that type is warranted. "Knowledge is power" is a very hackneyed phrase, but runs very true in the cancer realm. Cutaneous Lymphomas generally are rather indolent, but T-Cell Lymphomas as a type are rather heterogeneous and exhibit an exceptionally wide variety of sub-types.

It is all confusion at the start, but the learning curve is steep and soon it will begin to make much more sense. Do let us know how you go.

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.