My Partner is in the process of a diagnosis!

• 2 replies
  • 4 subscribers

My partner has all the signs and symptoms of T Cell Lymphoma and the doctors believed it to be a form of skin cancer with the rashes however now due to the bloods coming back abnormal and a large decrease in his white bloods cells he is now under investigation of Lymphoma. If anyone could offer any support and advice in the whole diagnosis and treatment process it would be greatly appreciated! 

I am honestly heartbroken and terrified, he is only 32, we are only 5 years into starting our lives together, he is my everything and I love him with my whole heart. But I am staying strong and positive for him.

• I have CTCL. Suggest looking at Lymphoma Action website for information. Suggest not playing Dr Google. If your partner is Stage 1a he is highly likely, 85-90% , to live a normal span of life. It is an indolent cancer generally, slow growing. I perhaps have a fairly benign case so far but I think it came on ca2014. Couple of patches, no other symptoms. Diagnosed 2020. Prescribed emollient cream & steroid ointment (same as for eczema, psoriasis) . If it surges you use the cream otherwise watch, wait & monitor. Haven’t used cream for a year. My case may be lucky but so could your partner be. Get a biopsy done as it’s the only way to truly tell. Check out the centres of excellence in your area for CTCL. For example, St Guy’s in London. Menzies Campbell has had it since the late 90’s I think. He is now 82.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups and sorry for not getting back to you as I did not receive a notification about your post..

Like  I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with my type of Cutaneous T-Cell Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (CTCL) eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well but I will say that unlike skin cancer this is a very treatable condition.

There are a few different types of Skin Lymphomas with my type known as Mycosis Fungodes. In simple terms most people are treated as through they have Psoriasis and often people may not need treatment for years. The only way to diagnose a skin Lymphoma is through biopsy and even then it may take a few biopsies.....it took my consultant a year and 6 biopsies to get a clear diagnosis but this made no difference to outcomes.

It can be had to get a clear diagnosis as many Dermatologists will have never seen anyone with this condition but as has been said being treated by a skin Lymphoma Centre helps a lot.

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge