Agressive Cancer visible on outer & inner surface of stomach

• 56 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Evening,

This is a first post having had it confirmed on Friday I have stomach cancer (substantially visible on both inner & outer surfaces)

See my profile for difficult Christmas and aggressive hidden cancer manifesting itself over the past two month

Question: anyone with experience of extreme / radical Chemo - stomach removal - further Chemo

Consultant Team was split 50-50 for the above; risk v reward and quality of life.

But clearly my decision, but I would like to know if there are those out there with this experience.

thanks

• Hi, I’ve been going through the same and I just had 7/8 it’s no fun is it? Like you said it’s a means to an end… one more to go for me next Friday but only if my liver blood test is ok as it’s getting stressed so might not get it… Oncologist said that my pathology results after TG were good so she doesn’t want to add damage to my liver… 

I hope everything goes ok with you too and the diarrhoea calms down… 

Michele 

• Chemo 7/8 completed today, and final session booked for 12 & 13 Aug.

tiredness beginning to take effect today, diarrhoea abated slightly but I’m expecting it to return, the Colesevelam hydrochloride has not really helped, consultant suggested Codeine two tables a day to help slow things down, and maybe this has helped.

full on eggs everyday, but weight tumbled to 91kg, but only 96kg after operation. Expecting the tiredness to hit over next two days, which is normal, but has been cumulative and more severe each time since 5/8.  No ulcers this time, phew,  but taste of food is horrible, none of my favourites taste correct and funny taste in the mouth most of the day.

need to eat more lean meat though and just stay positive, it is a means to and end and a small price to pay for a clear result

• Hi

Yes, the loss of taste and not being able to taste was, for me, one of the most difficult things about having the chemotherapy.  FLOT it was , once every fortnight, and it was easy, then tough, then ok, then bloody horrible for a few days. Up and down in other words.Just gotta get through it. Seek help and companionship,  where and when you can.

Best wishes 

• Hi, well done, you’ve got this, just one more to go… I had my last one 8/8 a week ago and I’m really tired this time, taste buds have gone totally this time, nothing I want to eat is tasting at all nice either or to drink… I’m glad to hear you’ve no problems with ulcers this time! I weighed the other day and the weight is dropping off more on the last two chemos… I’ve lost nearly 3 stone since my operation… but the same as you I must start eating more lean meat or protein to try and stabilise… anyway not long to go until you’ve finished, you’ve got this! Let’s smash this cancer away and try and get some normality back… all the best. 
    Michele 

• Hi, anyone still on here with stomach cancer?

• Fortunately, for me this has been irradiated through a combination of Chemo, operation - stomach removal and now further Chemo, so all clear, just need to get back to the new normal whatever that entails.

All the best, this post is all about the journey, but appreciate not the same outcome for all. 

• I thought I had posted post chemo 8/8 but nothing here, so disoriented I’m not surprised.

Chemo 8/8 day 6

• this is the worse one of all, I guess it is all cumulative, so not real surprise but there are additional side effects for me with this last session I’ve had so I thought I would list here.
    • affected my hearing as if it has moved wax in my ears, can hear my own breathing, head down and it clears briefly, give rise to balance issues.
    • hand and foot cramps, bit like a like a trigger finger and usual cold tingles in hands and feet
    • utterly debilitating this time, takes me hour to get up, barley stand in the shower, out of breath. Different level to chemo 7/8, sleeping more than Rocco, our 17 year old cat!
    • lost a lot of weight, 104kg post op (May) now just 79kg
    • Now unpredictable diarrhoea, could control it before now just have minutes !! Very unpleasant 
    • thrush in the mouth, and bile increases the horrible taste of food, drugs to combat this initially Nystatin now oral tables Fluconazola  
    • this time any food near me or about to eat causes nausea and I feel I might be sick, not really sure is actually possible without a stomach?
    • runny nose with no warning, just drips 
    • oddly not total head hair loss this time, just elsewhere on the body and no shaving required.

BUT in reality these are all just inconveniences and a means to an end, #zero2cancer.

I’m the lucky one of two, my friend with another type of Cancer is not, which is just tragic 

• Hi, awwww dear sorry to hear all your side effects. I too had more on my 8/8, diarrhoea and sickness (which is retching and phlegm without my stomach) which hurt my insides around my scar. Sense of smell went right off and I went off everything I liked to eat on 7/8… it’s crazy isn’t it. It’s also crazy with the weight loss too, I lost 20kg since post op… but I’ve gained a few pounds last week, 3 weeks since chemo. So hopefully you’ll gain some weight once your appetite, taste buds and sense of smell comes back… but WELL DONE you’ve completed your treatment… 

Take care.

Michele 

• Hi Yiaskyou,

Good to hear +ve outcome, how old was your Dad, how much stomach was removed?

My dad is gong to have Total stomach removal for grade 2, so unsure will they be able to eat by mouth?

• Hi 

I had a subtotal gastrectomy. It was 9 wks ago. 

Week 1 nothing

Week 2 very little, ice lollies, watery soups, jelly, fine oats, ensure drinks

Week 3 porridge, mash pot, scrambled eggs, white fish mashed with cheese sauce

Week 4 bread, chicken,  

Week 5 starting to get normal but small and 5 or 6 meals...no red meat, curries

Weeks 6 to 9 not a lot I couldn't eat but I was still advised no steaks, lamb chops

Good luck