Practical advice during chemotherapy

• 9 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Looks like it’s happening, husband got a call today to come and fit the PICC line on the 20th. 

For people who are doing FLOT, what useful things did you get at home, the leaflet said get bed covers, maybe something else that you found practical?

We’ll ask the nurse and obviously will play it by the ear, but can he hope to be able to drive, on the “off” weeks maybe? Or is it completely unrealistic and forget about it till the end of chemo?

• Hi, I’ve just completed 4 rounds of FLOT, I took the anti sickness tablets 4 a day for 4 days and drank as much fluid as I could to wash out the toxins. I have been able to drive on the chemo free weeks. He will need a PICC line cover for showers etc and these are available on prescription, just ask your GP surgery for one, this isn’t common knowledge. I also bought a new ear thermometer and checked my temperature twice a day. My hair came out after the 2nd treatment, it just broke off in handful’s something I wasn’t expecting to happen like that and can be distressing if your not ready for it. Next time I’m going to shave my head before it happens.

I have been quite lucky having manageable side effects and have eaten well and managed some walks around 4 days after treatment to keep muscle tone.

hope this helps, happy to answer any questions if I can 

Good luck 

• if not prescribed, You might want to ask about filgrastim injections, these are to help fight infection while on chemo, I have had these after every chemo treatment for 7 days. 

• Did you get any advice on how paranoid you need to be to avoid infection?

As in wear mask if being with people indoors, family members minimise their exposure, anything like that?

• I have been very careful with everyone, I have explained to all that I didn’t want to see anyone who had any sign of infection or if they had been exposed to anyone else, I found that explaining to them that if I got an infection how ill it could make me apart from delaying the chemo and surgery, everyone has understood this. I have worn a mask if going into shops or where there might be lots of people. I’ve kept out of pubs and restaurants for the duration, I can now have 4 weeks of being less cautious about mixing.

• Thanks!  hopefully you build up your strength before the operation. 

• Thank you I have my CT scan tomorrow to see if the FLOT has done anything, oncology appointment mid April, good luck to you and your husband, just a heads up when they talk about the cold, tell him to keep out of the fridge and freezer for 3-5 days. The pins and needles can get quite painful at times. All the best, let me know how he gets on 

• How did you scan go?

Today he had PICC fitted, but we also had a call that chemo will start on 8/04, rather than next week. Scream
    This bouncing between hospitals, I think they reset the waiting list clock every time it happens. 

• Hi, I’m sorry things have been delayed again, have they given any explanation, seems you have been waiting quite some time x

• No explanation, “it’s the nearest available slot”. The 26th wasn’t a firm date, just something the oncologist “hoped for”.