Diagnosis today

• 3 replies
  • 20 subscribers

My dad has been diagnosed with stomach cancer has lost 3.5 stone in the past few months. After a camera today the nurse says it looks nasty. Any experiences of treatment and life expectancy after diagnosis, we find out more tomorrow but guessing stage 4. He currently has clots in lungs ad well as long suffering COPD

• Hi EmmaPal,

So sorry to hear about your dad. My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer in November.

He didnt want to know his prognosis, which I was relieved about.

He started chemo 3 weeks ago, and was supposed to have this every three weeks. Its IV and then pills every day.

He seemed to be okay mostly with the treatment, but a few days ago he passed blood when he opened his bowels and sas feeling dizzy. He has been in hospital since and theh have delayed his chemo, and gave him radiotherapy today to try to dry up the bleeding. Waiting to hear if they will continue with the chemo.

I hope you are doing okay. I was in a terrible state waiting for each part of knowing what the diagnosis is.

If your dad is struggling to eat, which I guess he is, has he been prescribed fortisip? My dad also finds Muller rice puddings to be good.

Please let me know how you get on. 

You've just got to hold on to hope. xx

• Hi Link103

Sorry to hear your dad is in hospital, hope he gets home soon. I have read Dad's discharge letter and that says it is stage 3 spread to liver (the hospital hasn't told us that) we need the MDT to meet to discuss his case and treatment but I don't know how long that will take.

Please let me know how your dad gets on and I hope he's home soon.

• Hi EmmaPal,

Hopefully you will get the outcome of the MDT meeting soon and you can find out your dad's treatment plan.  I found the constant waiting for more information to be so stressful, but once my dad got told what the plan was, I felt a bit better, and hopefully you will too.

How is your dad coping? Does he talk about how he is feeling?

My dad finds it really hard to talk and also suffers with chronic anxiety which is making everything worse.

My dad is still in hospital, but the dr said on Thursday that he would hopefully be discharged this weekend or early next week. I'm really hoping he will be out tomorrow. It's so hard with covid as they are restricting visitors to just 1.

I hope you are coping okay. It's such an awful thing to have to go through, but I find talking to people on here helps. 

Wishing you all the best for the outcome of the MDT meeting. Let me know how it goes. x