Dad's chemo postponed and now in hospital

• 3 replies
  • 19 subscribers

My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer a few weeks ago, and had his first round if chemo 3 weeks ago.

He was due to have his second round tomorrow, but this morning he phoned his cancer helpline as he was experiencing bleeding from his bottom. He also said he was feeling weak and dizzy. They took him into hospital and said he will be in for a couple of days. They are now postponing his chemo as well.

He suffers with sever anxiety, even before this diagnosis, and has been worried that they wouldnt do his chemo because he is feeling weak, and was convinced that they would keep him in hospital after the chemo. I kept reassuring that this wouldnt be the case as I honestly believed it was his anxiety making him believe this.

He hasnt seemed too bad in terms of side effects. A bit of nausea for a couple of days, a couple of bouts of upset stomach, but mostly fatigued. But he has still been eating and getting out for a short walk most days.

I'm so worried about the bleeding from his bottom, bit he has been experiencing constipation, so I'm hoping he has just got a fissure or something.

I'm also worried about them postponing his chemo, and whether he will be fit enough for more rounds.

Even though he is 78, he really hasnt seemed too bad with the side effects, but maybe that's just because he hasnt been telling us how he is really feeling. But to look at him generally, you wouldn't think there is anything wrong with him, apart from the chronic anxiety.

Just wondered if anyone else has had chemo postponed and then commenced? Is this something I should be overly worried about?

And has anyone else experienced cancer whilst also dealing with chronic anxiety? I know that seems like a silly question, as having this awful illness is bound to make anyone feel anxious, but my dad has been suffering with anxiety for years.

Thank you kn advance for any guidance or support. x

• Hi

I don't have the experiences you're looking for, as I had a different type of cancer, but I noticed that you hadn't had any replies yet. By responding to you it will 'bump' your post back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be more easily seen.

I didn't suffer with anxiety when diagnosed with cancer but, as you say, it's very common. Has your dad spoken to his CNS about this as they have a duty to look after the patient both medically and mentally?

It would be great if you could pop something about your dad's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook,

Thank you for your reply and 'bumping up' my post.

I've now updated my profile.

Unfortunately my dad never wants to talk to anyone. I've suggested a counsellor or talking to someone in macmillan, but he said it doesnt help him.

He's still in hospital and we're not sure when he is coming home.

My mum has visited him today, and for the first time I have seen her crying since his diagnosis. She is worried that he wont be coming out, and now I'm really worried. 

• I'm sorry to read that your dad's still in hospital and it's natural that you and your mum are upset.

If your dad won't talk to Macmillan you and your mum can still use the Support Line, as it's available both for the person with cancer and their family. There are people available every day from 8am to 8pm and it's free to call them on 0808 808 0000.

Sending a virtual (((hug)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"