Stomach Cancer

• 5 replies
  • 20 subscribers

My Dad was diagnosed with this disease 2 weeks ago and we have been told there is nothing they can do! I can’t accept that there isn’t something or someone.somewhere that can’t help.!!?? They say stomach cancer is the hardest to diagnose and more often than not had spread too far before tit is diagnosed! In this day and age this is not good enough. My Dad is a young, fit, healthy 77 year old, not a frail 97 year old! I wonder if the  prognosis would be different if he was in his 30’s or 40’s!??? He constantly feels sick and when he is it obviously puts him off wanting to eat anything. I can’t bear to see my Dad in this state, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to read that your dad has just been diagnosed with stomach cancer and I know what a worrying time this will  be for the whole family. 

As I had a different type of cancer I don't know what the criteria for treatment of stomach cancer would be but have found this information from Macmillan for you on treatment of stomach cancer.

You could speak to one of the nurses on the Support Line if you want to understand more about why your dad's team don't feel that treatment is possible. The number to call is 0808 808 0000, it's free to call and the nurses are available every day between 8am and 8pm. Whilst they don't have access to your dad's NHS records they should still be able to help answer your questions.

Another option is to ask for a second opinion. If this is something that you'd be interested in doing then clicking here will take you to information about the pros and cons of doing this and how to go about it if you want to.

When you have the time it would be great if you could pop something about your dad's diagnosis into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi have you gotten any further, my dad has been diagnosed today and we find out the stage etc tomorrow but I fear it will be similar to your dad's. Sending love

• So sorry to hear about your dad, I’m told my husband has stomach cancer, stage 1 but no treatments for him, doctors say to take stomach away, would be too much for him, and no quality of life, chemo no , I’m not getting any answers to questions, it’s we don’t know , he’s 83 but very active young for his age, I don’t understand why no treatments for him 

• Hi,

I don't understand that I would ask for a second opinion and an explanation. I'm sure radiotherapy or an op would have a good chance of getting rid of it all together. It doesn't sound right to me , I'd definitely speak to someone else. We should find out treatment today if any for dad. Please keep me posted.

• My husband is the same , always feeling sick, and eating very little, he’s 83 but young and fit for his age,  no treatments for him , but say it’s just in stomach Not traveled, I don’t understand  why nothing can be done, I don’t get any answers  from cancer nurse,  all the best to your dad,