Gastrectomy with lymph nodes, part of pancreas and spleen removed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Has anyone else had such an experience. Was stage 4 gastric cancer as Para aortic lymph nodes were involved. Took 5 cycles of FLOT. Then pet scan which showed good tumor regression, so taken up for surgery foll pet scan which showed good tumor regression

On staging lap the doctors said all looks good and opened the Abdomen only to find pancreatic tail and spleen involved. So finally it was a D2 resection, total gastrectomy, spleen and part of pancreas removed.

What is the outcome of such a procedure if anyone else has had such extensive surgery

Thanks in advance 

• I had this procedure, in October 2019, although I was found to be stage 3. I had 4 rounds of FLOT, before and after surgery, although my response was not great. I am doing ok, but it takes a year at least to get used to the new digestion process. I am supposed to be getting after care for at least 5 years. I think good general health, and a positive outlook really help in this situation. I have to take a low dose of penicillin daily, because of loss of spleen and I take Creon because of the pancreas reduction. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to maggie55

Thanks for your response Maggie. Assume ur cancer free. So then I guess all the meds and this procedure is worth it 

• Hi, I am cancer free, although my latest blood test, 3 weeks ago, has shown an elevation in CA19-9, which is a little worrying. I am due to have a scan in 3 weeks. Its really important to make sure you get regular blood tests, and mine slid somewhat with all the Covid business. There are quite a few folk in this forum who have survived the 5 years from what I can see, although my operation was extensive, as is yours. Best wishes.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to maggie55

Thanks for your positivity Maggie. And I hope even though ur bld levels are slightly elevated, that you will be absolutely fine on the scan. All the best!! 

• Have you had the op? I’m hoping to have the same operation in July so looking forward to hearing how you find it. Staying positive definitely helps. Sending lots of healing thoughts. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Sunflower1973

Hi Sunflower! Yes I am writing on behalf of my mom who had the surgery 3 days ago. There was pain but she is already looking better today. Let's see how the next few days and weeks pan out