Told to stop taking chemo tablets

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 18 subscribers

My husband has advanced gastric cancer 2 weeks ago he had he's first 4 hr chemo drip .

Was sent home with chemo tablets however he was only taking them for a week when he's side effects were really bad. 

He had an usually gagging feeling every time he had something to eat or drink.

The cancer nurse contacted the ongulist he said he needed to stop tablets and a ct scan was booked for him the following day.

This absolutely terrified me the reason for the ct scan was they were worried in case it had spread to hes head . He's head has been fine 

But now we are still waiting for results as it has been Easter holidays. However the cancer nurse assured me that if their was anything there the radiologist are trained to spot anything untoward.

But now we are in limbo we don't know if he will have to start on new chemo tablets he's next cycle is due end of April. I'm really worried he's not very well. Has anybody else been in a similar situation?

• Hi

Having to wait for the results of tests and scans can be a very worrying time. Do you know when your husband's will be ready? Sometimes it can be easier on your emotions if you have a timescale to work to.

In the meantime try to do things that you enjoy to distract yourself. You might also find taking a look at this information on how to ease worry when waiting for results helpful.

I can see that you've joined the carers group and you might find posting about your emotions there would be helpful as you'll connect with others who have loved ones living with cancer.

Do come back and let us know your husband's results.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Kikidotty, Sorry to hear your husband is struggling with the tablet chemo. I'm guessing this might be capecitabine - which is commonly used in gastric cancer treatment. If he's struggling with the tablets, please know there is another form of the drug which can be administered via a pump which he would wear for 48 hours after his main chemo treatment - it's called 5-FU. Perhaps ask his oncologist about it when you can? The drug is basically the same - just a different way of delivering it.

Let us know how he goes with the scan results when you get them,

SDH x

Knowledge makes us stronger. Research, question, share and demand more from your doctors. Read my profile for my dad's stage IV story.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to SDH

Hi thankyou for your message and great advice. My husband's ct scan was clear thank God.          

He spoke to he's ongulist yesterday he's happy for Ian to go ahead with the next cycle tomorrow.He said they are going to give less of the chemo drug and change he's anti sickness meds                                                  

That was interesting what you said about the pump to administer the chemo that may be something they might try if Ian doesn't cope well with this next cycle.                                         

Ian just wants to get on with it now. I'm so proud how he is so strong about this This is typical of he's character won't let anything beat him.                             

Thankyou you again it is so reassuring to know they is people like yourself to help and give advice x