Total gastrectomy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 23 subscribers

I just wondered if anyone has had problems with food after this procedure.  My hubby had his in August and is still having sore belly and running to toilet.  This can be up to 10 times in the day.  He does want to eat but it is so off putting knowing what is going to happen.   There is no rhyme or reason or specific foods that bring it on.  He has lost 3 stone up to now.  Surely something can be done?

• I’ve had a total gastrectomy so can offer some advice. Message me if you want to know more.

Debra
    Stomach cancer survivor
    There is always hope, you just need to open your eyes and heart Slight smile
  • Hi, I had a total gastrectomy in October of last year and I still have some issues.  As with Debra,  I’m happy to share my experiences/advice etc.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to dbc

Hi there i would be interested to hear your story.  Hubby had T3 cancer but his lymph nodes were clear.  They didn't think it was more than T1/2 so although they Initially said no chemo but he was referred for it but wasn't offered it as the oncologist said with his claudication and heart problems it could do more harm than good.

I would love to hear from you x

• Please can you tell me what life is really like after surgery? My husband is 58 and facing a total gastrectomy in 2 weeks. He is so scared that life will be such poor quality that it isn't worth having surgery. Any advice and experiences would be much appreciated.

• Hi Megstar, my husband had a total gastrectomy in October last year followed by a second course of chemo which he finished about 6 weeks ago. It is tough but has to done. He can have only small portions of food and feels full, it is trial and error to find out what he can tolerate or not. He lost a lot of weight following surgery and especially during the second course of chemotherapy. He Still gets dumping syndrome and can’t tolerate the supplements and struggling to maintain weight, he also has malabsorption and needs to take Creon with his food. It all takes time and it is a new way of living and doable, you need to remain positive. We have been able to go out for meals with friends again and it was an enjoyable experience. It is surprising to see him eat and enjoy his food in company. We are planning a mini break before considering a short holiday to see how staying in a hotel works for us. It is something to look forward to. My husband is 72 and was in good health prior to diagnosis of stomach cancer and we are grateful he could have surgery. I hope it works out well for both of you and stay positive.

• I had a total gastrectomy nearly three years ago and I’m happier and healthier than ever. Of course there are days that are more challenging but they become fewer and fewer as time goes by. I’m more than happy to help in any way. Even just as someone to talk to.

Debra
    Stomach cancer survivor
    There is always hope, you just need to open your eyes and heart Slight smile
  • Hi I don't know if its any help to you but I was in same situation as your hubby, but I had one round of chemo in august which flared my heart problem, so it was stopped and I had my tg in November, in Feb they told me everything was clear and I now only have check ups with surgeon n no further involvement from oncologist xx

• Hi, hope you’re well.

I think that’s normal and I was apprehensive too as to what life would be like. But, what’s the alternative ? I wasn’t up for not having it and finding out !

Had surgery at the end of August in 2021 and post op chemo October / Nov (which was the toughest thing I’ve ever done in my life! - completely different for me to the pre op chemo where I wasn’t affected too badly)

Post surgery and like DBC I’m happier and healthier than ever, have had regular checkups / scans / blood tests and all clear currently.

Food wise, I went out on a Date Night with my Wife last Saturday. I had 2 x mojitos, an 8oz fillet steak with French fries and peppercorn sauce and a meringue filled with cream and fruit coulis for dessert (skipped the breads and starter so as not to get full ahead of the main course!)

So, it’s natural for him to be apprehensive but quality of life with no stomach certainly isn’t poor (I loved my meal on Saturday night!) and much better than the alternative if he was to decide against the op !

Hope that helps reassure you a bit …