Stomach removal due to cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi, My partner is due to have a major operation in the next few weeks to remove the cancer which will also mean having her entire stomach removed , we would like to talk to someone who has had their entire stomach removed Hope someone can help

• Hi

I had a partial gastrectomy in January but there are others here who had a total gastrectomy.  I found really useful information from the OPA. Oesophageal Patient Association which has helpful advice.

I also bought the book The Art of Eating without a Stomach.  Who knew such a thing was possible!

Getting as fit as possible before surgery and using this Forum to get helpful and practical advice was invaluable.

Please do post any questions or concerns!

x

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi. I am sorry to hear about your partner. I had a total gastrectomy in Aug 15 so I know exactly how she must be feeling. I remember feeling terrified of both the operation and what life would be like afterwards. I can honestly say that neither were as bad as I had envisioned. The period she is going through at the moment is the most frightening and frustrating part as there are so many unknowns with regards to the operation and treatment. I found the hospital staff were excellent and still are. Where is she  having her  operation? The operation is life changing but I still go out for meals regularly and go on holidays both here and abroad. In fact I am sat writing this in my motorhome as we are in Fairford this week to watch. an air show. You will get lots of support and advice on this forum but if you prefer you can always message me with any questions that you may have and I will try my best to answer them. 

Take care

Donna. Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Johnny

Sorry to hear that your partner is having to go through this. My dad had his whole stomach removed last september. It was a very scary time for us all, we were very worried for him. He was in hospital for 2 weeks after the op. He is now at home, he is back to work part time, him and my mum go on holidays and long weekends away, he enjoys eating out etc the same as before. It is a long road to recovery and he has lost a lot of weight but time is a healer. My dad now can eat anything he wants and enjoys life each day. This is a helpful site, a lot of people have been through this I found it very helpful as didn't know much at all about this before.

Sending you both best wishes, I hope all goes well.

Nina 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Johnny

I had my stomach removed in January at the age of 46, and I honestly feel like I’m doing ok, it’s a very scary thought and I was so worried at the time but I feel recovery is going really well. I can eat almost anything in small amounts and my weight is stable. I’ve been on holiday abroad twice since my second chemos finished in March and was able to enjoy some food and a little drink. 

Im not back at work yet, I’m taking my time but I am back at the gym rebuilding myself from the outside in and life feels pretty good. 

If you have any questions please do ask, we’re all here. 

Lou x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Lou,

My husband will also have surgery within 2 months after the next 4 rounds of chemo are finished.

If I may ask, how long was it when you first went for a trip abroad after the surgery. Part of our family lives abroad, and we are looking to see them as soon as we could as my husbands mom cannot travel on her own to come see us.

Regards,

oyita

• Thanks Donna, would should we expect after surgery and what sort of food should we be thinking about to start with at home?

Debra
    Stomach cancer survivor
    There is always hope, you just need to open your eyes and heart Slight smile
  • Hi Lou,

What food did you start off with? Is their anything you can’t eat?

Debra
    Stomach cancer survivor
    There is always hope, you just need to open your eyes and heart Slight smile
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to dbc

Hi. When you first come home you will feel really tired as you won’t initially be able to take in all the nutrients and calories needed. I personally found this the hardest part as I am a very active person. Gradually you will regain your strength although don’t expect it to happen in the first few weeks. It’s important to rest each day but to also get up and move around gently. You will need to listen to your body and rest when you feel tired. Following the operation I tried to eat soft food such as cottage pie, lasagne, stew, soups. Try and eat as much protein as possible in your diet as this will help to rebuild the muscle mass that you may loose. Even now I always have cheese in the fridge which I nibble when passing. I always carry snacks with me wherever I go. Remember to eat only very small portions or you will feel very uncomfortable afterwards. Where are you having your operation? I had mine at the Liverpool Royal and the medical staff including dieticians have been fantastic. Please get in touch if I can help any further. 

Take care

Donna xxx

• Hi

I had a partial gastrectomy in January. I live in Scotland and flew to Belfast to see my daughter four weeks after surgery. I went back to work after six weeks on a phased return.  I was lucky as I did not have post op chemo and recovered really well.

I am abroad just now for the first time since my operation and the travel insurance was more expensive.  But I eat much as I did before just smaller portions and more often.  

There were many times when I was having treatment that I could not have imagined life being normal again.

I wrote a Blog during my treatment and surgery.  If you click on my name you will find it. 

Happy for you to PM me with any questions.

Hope all goes well!

Jac

• Hi dbc

Like Donna I ate high calorie high protein foods. Eggs with cheese or avocado, Baked potato with cheese or tuna, Cottage pie, Fish pie, Quiche.

For breakfast I made coconut porridge with coconut milk, Greek yogurt and stewed fruit.

It was soft foods for the first six weeks but now I can eat most foods but smaller quantities.

I wrote a Blog as I found this group so helpful and supportive.

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/members/jacquiw10/blogs

Happy for you to PM with any questions.

Good luck!

Jac