Excluded and unsure what to do

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 17 subscribers

Hi everyone, good evening

I found this thread while searching for support online. I am in a difficult situation and don't know what to do. I don't think I even understand what is a actually happening.

Boyfriend's father announced he has terminal cancer end of February this year. I have been dating the son for a year and a half and we have been living together for 8 months now. We have talked about marriage and kids and the parents are aware. I was taken to see engagement rings in January and my parents were informed of the proposal plan (which to this date hasn't happened).

Ever since the announcement of the illness, when I reached out via text, email or phone call to my boyfriend's father and mother  offer help, and ask for news I was bluntly ignored. I haven't seen them in 3 months now despite the fact that we were quite close and I was told by the father that I was 'family', repeatedly. To this day I don't even know what type of cancer it is, how far it has spread etc. No details.

As of 10 days ago my boyfriend told me I was not allowed to visit them. They're 'ignoring visitors and all phone calls'. My boyfriend is there every day, brings them groceries etc. I made homemade soup for the mum who is from what I know looking after the father by herself, and didn't get a thank you or anything.

My birthday is coming up in 3 weeks and I had booked flights for my boyfriend and I to celebrate with my family who live in France. I found yesterday, through a group chat we have on whatsapp that he's decided to no longer attend. He didn't discuss with me first, so I was quite shocked about that. I've told him I'm upset as this is my birthday and I paid for everything. I've asked to stay with him here but he doesn't want me around. He says he needs to be there in case his mum rings to tell him his father is nearing the end (they live 25 minute drive away).

Is this normal?

When I tried talking to my boyfriend about the situation and my birthday plans collapsing because of him he laughs at my face and tells me I am overreacting. He says it's a difficult time and doesn't want me to stay here with him in the UK because he doesn't want me to be 'miserable'. I don't understand why he doesn't want his so called life partner by his side throughout this difficult time. He says he expects to be happy and go celebrate in France instead, which I said will not be possible for me knowing what's going on back home.

Can someone please help me through this? I feel like the emotions and what I've told him are justified. I am upset his parents have excluded me from the illness and now my boyfriend is doing the same and has out our entire life on hold.

What should I do?

Thank you from the bottom of my heart xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am so sorry to hear about your boyfriends father. This must be a very emotional time for the family given the bleak prognosis. 

I’m not sure whether my response will help you or not but we are all different in how we conduct ourselves once diagnosed with this dreadful disease.

I personally was very open with family and friends about my diagnosis, prognosis and treatment and have been lucky to receive a tremendous amount of support from them throughout my treatment. This has helped me remain positive and strong mentally.  I proudly walk around with no hair for the second time in 9 months. I can’t wear eye make up at the moment due to side effects affecting my eyes so am make up free...something I would not have done pre diagnosis. I have had a pre chemo party, a pre surgery party which was also a fundraiser for CRUK and am currently planning my post treatment party for next month.

My sister who was diagnosed before me was much more private and only a very close circle of family were fully aware of what she was going through. She didn’t let anyone other than her partner and son see her without her wigs and full make up, not even Mum or her sisters.  The only social interaction she had was with her sisters and nieces. Although she is now in remission, there are not many people outside of close family who know she had cancer. 

I sympathise with your situation. I can’t imagine how isolated you must feel and also abandoned by your partner. It must be very upsetting for you but given the diagnosis I am sure the family are even more upset and struggling to cope. However, I feel you must accept the decision to only include immediate family at this time, especially as his diagnosis is terminal. He may not want people to know, or pity him or be seen by non family members as his health declines.  This is a very personal choice by them and your boyfriend obviously wants to honour their wishes even if this hurts you. Be there for your boyfriend and make sure he knows that if the family need anything you are there for them. Continue to make soup - just don’t expect a thank you every time. Send flowers to his mum or a card just so they know you are thinking of them. They will appreciate these gestures even if they don’t verbalise it.

I can understand why your boyfriend feels the need to stay close to home. It sounds as though you don’t know the prognosis for his father. It may only be weeks and in his shoes I wouldn’t want to be far from my Dad’s side just in case the end came when I was away. 

As I said at the start, I’m not sure that this response will help you deal with your feelings but it is important to recognise that we are all different and react differently in these situations. I hope you are able to stay strong, for your sake and your boyfriends as he will need you by his side to help him cope with his grief once his father passes.