Spinal Cord Ependymoma

• 4 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Hey there! I had a spinal cord tumour removed last year.  It was 2cm and the surgery has left me with numbness in my legs and feet as well as reduced sensation in the genital area. I use a wheelchair as my balance is affected and I have foot drop. 
I also have a benign brain tumour that is being monitored. 
 Life throws so many curve balls; the only thing within our power is to choose how we react to them. I am trying to keep working - as a headteacher but the pain in my back is excruciating from about midday every day and I am not sure how long I can keep going. Just got to tough it out! 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I don't have the same type of cancer as you but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. By responding to you it will 'bump' your post back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be more easily seen.

While you're waiting for replies you could have a look through some of the other posts in the group to see if anyone else has had similar experiences to you.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks so much latchbrook! I look forward to connecting with others who have gone through similar things. 

• Hi Bernto,

Ive just been diagnosed with a spinal Ependymoma, like you i am wheelchair dependant , ive been waiting since Dec last year when i was told it was a schwannoma, to then be told 4 months later it wasnt,

Im now just waiting results from Brain MRI and a MDT meeting .xx

• Hi Kentgirl11,

So sorry to hear you are having problems with your diagnosis.  I had my surgery under Prof David Choi at the National Hospital for Neurosurgery in London. They are an amazing team and the only people who were willing to do the op for me. They saved me from losing control of my bladder and bowels which was a huge concern for me. 
    I am having emergency scans on my brain tumour in the next few weeks due to headaches. Hoping to avoid surgery as it will be dangerous for my sight and can do without being blind in charge of a wheelchair!!!! 
    I hope your scans go well. Please do reach out if you ever want to chat. Take care!