My diagnosis - Spinal Tumor.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi all, 

Roughly four months ago I was diagnosed with a sizable mass growing on my spine inside my rib cage, it was diagnosed after I developed a cough caused by the mass pushing onto my left lung and irritating it. 

The tumor is 14cm long, 4cm wide and 5cm deep. It runs from my T4 to my T9, at T5 to T7 it has knitted it's way into my spine. The mass is made up of nerves from my spinal column, it's a neurogenic tumor.

They say there's a 40% chance of it being benign, they attempted a CT led biopsy, however, it was aborted due to the extreme pain I suffered. They want to carry out a theatre biopsy next to find out whats it's all about and how to treat it. Theatre seems to be the way they really want to go for but obviously carrys the risk of paralysis. 

Can I hear some if your experiences, please? Recovery, the operation, life afterwards and just what I'm going to face, maybe things that you'd have done differently or had with you to make your life easier in hospital/home life.

Thanks for reading! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this and it is a tough time to be sure.  My experience is not like yours but I suppose every tumour is different anyway.

About 5 years ago I was having problems walking properly in a straight line, numbness in legs and loss of sensation and it took months of GP visits before I saw a neurologist and to cut a long story short they said I had a tumour which they were sure was benign in spinal column, the size of a plum and wrapped around spinal cord.

They could not be sure of the outcome until the operation and whether I would be  normal again or not.  Thankfully the operation went well and was in hospital for about 3 days and the recovery only tood a few weeks until I was back to normal.

I had MRI twice yearly at first then once a year and then once very two years and am due another in October.

I know my situation will be different to yours and everyone else but just wanted to give you hope and try not to worry and that it may not be as bad as you think.

I know I scoured the internet for hours trying to get answers but really you just have to wait and be patient until they can come up with the answer.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi matey, 

Thank you for taking the time to reply! You're very right in that saying about that no two are the same!

I've done the whole searching the net for answers. 

I could imagine it was difficult to undertake the operation not knowing the out come - that's what scares me in all honesty. I rather know if I'll be paralysed or not instead of not knowing. 

I'm really glad to know that your operation was a great success and you're recovering well! 

Do you mind if I ask where in the spine your mass was and how it was wrapped around? Mine is from T4 to T9 and it's knitted into my vertebra; so it's kind if similar? 

Thanks again, 

• Hi. Sorry to hear that you are going through this. I would like to share my story and your replies and advise will be really appreciated. 
    Around April 2020 I had an MRI scan for pain in my coccyx bone that I had been experiencing for months with back pain. Didn’t hear anything back from hospital until early September where they wanted me to have another MRI. I didn’t think anything of it until I got to the appointment and they told me it was a a MRI with contrast dye. It was then I was a little worried but, the radiographer reassured me. 5 days later I got a call from the consultant saying there had been an incidental finding on the scan which they did back in April and that’s why another scan was done with contrast dye. He informed me there was a mass on my spine and the impression was it is benign.  He also said that the chances of it being cancerous is only 10%. I had tried not to worry but all I have done is worried myself sick. Constant migraines and severe pain neck. He also told me that the neuro team was having a MDT and will get back to me later. I have been worried sick since then. It’s been almost 4 weeks since they contacted me. Even if it’s benign it’s still worry for me as it’s a mass on my spine which has so many risks because of it being where it is. 
    Any advise or information is appreciated.