Superficial BCC treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 22 subscribers

I’ve just been diagnosed with a superficial BCC and wondered what the best treatment would be? My consultant has advised either mohs or photodynamic therapy, with the mohs surgery being much more successful. The area is about 10mm on my forehead just below my hairline. 
I’m totally confused as to which option I should choose. Please could anyone advise? 
thanks 

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with a BCC and it's natural to wonder which treatment would be best for you when you've been given a choice. Unfortunately, as none of us are medics, we can't give advice on which treatment you should take. 

I've found this information on Mohs surgery and this on photodynamic therapy for you which might help you to make a decision. If you're confused about which treatment to choose then you need to sit down with your consultant and talk through the options again so that you can make an informed choice.

I haven't had either type of surgery so don't have any personal experience to share with you but there are people in this group who have had Mohs. Hopefully they'll be along to tell you of their experience with this type of surgery.

While you're waiting you could type 'Mohs' into the search bar in this group to read recent posts that mention this type of treatment. You could also do this for 'photodynamic'.

Let us know what you decide to do.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • Hi

I hope you had a good Christmas and you're looking forward to the New Year celebrations.

I wondered which type of treatment you'd opted for to remove your BCC and whether you have a date for the surgery yet?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi! I actually have my treatment date on 9th Jan. I opted for photodynamic therapy on the nhs. Then if it does come back I’ll have mohs surgery. After a lot of consideration and looking at images of people who’d had mohs I decided the photodynamic therapy was less intrusive (but with the lower success rate).

I’ll let you know how I get on.

xx

• I'm glad to hear you don't have long to wait .

It would be great if you could come back and tell us about the therapy and how it's gone for you as I can't remember anyone else who's had this and it'll be useful for people coming here looking for information in future.

Best wishes

x

Community Champion Badge