Acitretin

• 4 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Dermatologist has suggested the daily use of this oral (reinoid) drug which is used primarily to treat psoriasis. He feels it might help reduce the growth of skin cancer cells, has anyone else used Neotigasan (trade name) for this purpose? Research on line has come up with a horrible list of side effects. At this stage after reading some of the horror stories I’m reluctant to start taking. Any experienced/informed opinion would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi  I don’t normally post in this group but noticed your post heading.

I have a rare Skin Non Hodgkins Lymphoma….. a blood cancer that develops tumours on my skin but it’s not classed as skin cancer.

At times I was >70% covered in tumours but as part of my treatment I was on Acitretin.

I must have been on the Acitretin daily for about 5 years until my condition became more aggressive so my treatment had to do the same.

With the power of the internet you will find lots of horror stories but I had absolutely no issues with this drug and it did a good job controlling the development of my Lymphoma.

I have also ‘talked’ with a good number of others who have had the same drug and they also had no issues.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Mike for your response it’s greatly appreciated.

As you say people are more likely to post about their horror stories than their successes. Great to hear you had no bad reactions to using Acitretin and you’ve spoken with others who had a similar experience. Will happily add your experience into my pros column.

Wishing you all the best with treating Skin Non Hodgkins Lymphoma.

• All the very best to you as well……. Actually its exactly 25 years today since I was first seen by my Dermatologist who basically knew what I had, even before a biopsy….. my story is a long and bumpy ride that can be seen in the link at the bottom…… but I am 8.5 years out from my last treatment and getting on with life…… I look for the same for you.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Great to hear your getting on with your life.

Spoke with my dermatologist today re Acetritin, mentioning my concerns of side affects. He believes at his recommended dosage 10mg per day I should be fine and that he believes it could be quite beneficial in helping me reduce my recurring skin cancers. So am now siding on giving the medication a go. Thanks again for your helpful input regarding your experience using it.

At the same time he confirmed the biopsies of three cancers he cut out earlier this week all showed clear margins which is always a great relief.