Anyone here have Actinic Cheilitis and use Efudix regularly long term on lips?

• 11 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Just looking for others with premalignancy that won't go away on lips. I am a woman but aware that most with actinic cheilitis are men. I was diagnosed by a skin cancer expert 2 years ago and have tried Efudix at regular intervals and also Imiquimod. My dermatologist says I will probably have to use this cream at 6 monthly intervals for life. But presently she's trying me on short sharp bursts of twice daily applications.

She has explained that it presently only exists at cellular level so she can't remove it. Also she's explained that the risk of it turning into invasive SQC in my mouth is quite high if we don't keep it in check. The problem is that it has so far never been in check - it just carries on responding to the cream and my lips are knackered and horrible after 2 years of using this cream.

As I"m also immune-suppressed for autoimmune diseases I seem to be now finding the cream makes me feel wiped out and I'm good for not much while I'm using it. I had to stop Imiquimod because it made my autoimmune diseases flare up as if I had severe flu. I try not to let it get me down too much and obviously I don't want invasive SQC but the thought of continuing to use this cream at regular intervals for life, especially as my lip seems to be getting worse not better, is rather depressing.

My dermatologist is an expert and I know I'm in the best possible hands but she is also very busy and I can't see her face to face presently because I'm shielding and the risk of Covid is too high. She phones often to check up on me and I think she's becoming concerned that my lip so far never stops reacting to the cream. She has thought about using a Vitamin D cream as well to heighten the response but as it's on my lip she's also concerned about how I will cope. 

So I'm here looking for others who have Actinic Cheilitis ie only on the lip to see how you have fared with treatments and how it's worked out for you. 

• |Hi Annie, just had an email in regarding your posting.  Haven't been on here for quite awhile.  Yes "Efudex was somewhat effective in that my lower lip and above the upper lip was effected by Efudex, so there was bad cells.  Think I did the lower lip 11 days if I remember rightly and above the upper lip for 28 days, that was 1x a day. 

When I stopped the lower lip (sent pictures to my skin doctor and she said to stop), she said I might have to stop above the top lip also as the lower lip might not heal quickly.  I decided to just go for it as the pink above my upper lip was really bugging me.  The lower lip healed somewhat, enough to eat solid food anyway but not completely until I stopped treatment. 

It has since been over a year and yes the bottom lip is a lot better, it doesn't peel or burn, so far anyway.  But I do still put Aquaphor on it each day  as it seems awfully dry without it.  Above the top upper lip was still somewhat pink after treatment and healing in that I think it did not get all the bad cells but my skin doctor said to not use it again "right now".  I have since changed skin doctors and the new one says the same thing and said that the pink might be from just damaged cells and I could try Plexr, where by he has this small handheld machine, looks like a pen,  that actually burns all the tissues.  He said it would get rid of wrinkles there too.  Maybe this Winter I will try it, not sure yet. 

I have tried 5 sessions of Microneedling on that area and my nose where I had Mohs in 2020 for a bcc.  It didn't do much, a bit; so then I had 5 sessions of laser and IPL (she only did laser once above my upper lip) , Laser did help with the nose to get it less bumpy and more even textured, not so much for the upper lip area  to remove the pink but a bit more, maybe more then the Microneedling but didn't take it all away; that was this past Spring.  Now I am noticing that the pink, touch wood, is way less then before.  I have read on the Facebook groups that some people it has taken a long time to get the red or pink to go away, some say it never has!  You should join the Facebook groups as there is one for Actinic Cheilitis  and another for Efudex and more.  Very helpful sites for skin cancers and you can ask questions and learn quite a lot IMO.   

I apply 30spf sunscreen on my face right away when I get up, even if I am staying indoors.  They say that is necessary for anyone with sun skin cancer problems.  I was a red head with freckles and never ever tanned but as a child I always tried to; guess this is the result.  

Hope this helps.