Biopsy for BCC

• 16 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi, I had a 4mm x 4mm punch biopsy on the tip of my nose at the beginning of this month. It was left to heal by secondary intention. On my week 3 appointment for wound check the nurse said a scab had formed so to leave the dressing off but keep it moist with Vaseline. It’s now nearly 4 weeks & I can see, as the scab is very pliable, that there is a very deep ‘hole’ beneath the scab. Is this normal? 
I had a telephone appointment with a consultant on Wed and it is a nodular & infiltrating BCC so is booking me in for excision which will be in around 3 months. I asked about Moh’s surgery but he just said no but you can have radiation if you want! 
I’m not happy as I believe this is the gold standard so thinking of going to see a private dermatologist for advice.

• Hi, 

Within a month is private, around 6-9 months for NHS due to current circumstances! X

• I'm not surprised how long the wait would be if you had it done on the NHS as even in 'normal' times there's a very long wait.

Do come back and let us all know how it goes.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Surgery on Monday 22nd June! Fingers crossed

X

• That's great news that your appointment has come through for less than 2 weeks time .

Let us know how it goes.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

How did the surgery go on Monday and how are you feeling? Not too sore I hope.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi,

I had to be at clinic for 9am & first surgery was completed by 9:30 then just the wait in a private room for the results. I had to have second round as a few cells were deep in the centre, possibly pushed down from the biopsy. Got the all clear that time & a straight repair, I was told it could be possibly forehead flap at consultation so was really pleased! I was all done by 1pm. 

Yes the anaesthetic certainly makes your eyes water but otherwise a weird experience sensation wise rather than painful. Only pain was when the anaesthetic wore off but paracetamol soon had that under control.

Stitches out next Monday so I’ll see the results then. The nurse did ask if I wanted to see the photos but recommended I wait a few days first!