Skin graft shock

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi everyone

Had dressings removed from bcc on nose removal and skin graft last week and I have to be honest when I say I got such a shock.  I had prepared for the surgery and the week of dressings but I failed to consider the after that which I think contributed to the outright fear I've been feeling.  It's a week on now and after I managed to get assured from the surgeon that its healing ok and feeling much better for the most part.  I'm still covering it up except at night because I'm afraid to put my glasses straight on it.  Can anyone tell me how long the scab lasts. I'm afraid to go near it except with just water because I was told to keep it dry . I'm a bit afraid ish of what's underneath it aswell....will I get another huge shock.  Thanks guys for any advice.

• Hi Emily, 

I can totally sympathise with you. I had the graft taken from the side of my face and the colour doesn’t match. I had it done back in April and at the top there’s really thick skin. Ive even tried to cover it with foundation but to be honest that made it 10 times worse. I wasn’t prepared for what I saw when the dressing came off (I think I cried solid for a week). If you need anyone to talk to please do not hesitate to contact me x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Redhead08

Thank you both for replying. It makes you feel less alone across this horrible experience. I honestly can't imagine that this graft is ever going to look anything but disgusting. I didn't feel that way after the two flaps that I had 18 months ago. I also sobbed when I saw the graft for the first time. Fortunately I didn't choose to look at it when the nurse took the bolster off but waited until I got home. Last time I had a plastic surgeon do both flaps straight after the Mohs surgery butt because this was all done during the Covid lockdown period they didn't want many people coming into the theatre & the dermatologist who did the Mohs said he'd be able to do it. I think it was so much more extensive than he expected, even though it was an infiltrative bcc, that he was faced with something that way really beyond his expertise. I know I'm older (in my 60's) but I still want to look ok & not feel like I have to hide my face when I go out. I asked the nurse if I could hide it with make up when it heals & she said she didn't think that would work. 

I really hope that we can all look back at this in a few months time & smile!

Please keep updating how you're all going & maybe others will chime in as well.

Thanks again,

Emily