One year post-surgery

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Apologies for photo-bombing the group. I've tried to update my blog with photos of progress over the past year (in response to a query from another user) but am not given the option of 'file upload' via that route. 

I had an op for BCC removal in November 2017 and a skin graft, and these are a few pics of my progress over the year. My original blog gives some more immediate post-surgery pics. My case may not be very representative (the scar became hypertrophic (unusual on the face, so don't panic!)), and I had to have steroid injections to bring the inflammation down. But even give that less than perfect scenario, I feel fine about the scarring now. 

2 months post-surgery (below):

3 months post-surgery(below):

4 months post-surgery - after first steroid injection (below):

Later that month, wearing camouflage makeup for the first time (below):

Nine months post-surgery (no makeup) (below):

None for November -my selfie rate has gone down significantly as I've become less anxious about my progress! But happy to post if it's helpful.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks so much for replying; it actually brings tears to my eyes to be understood and know you are going through the same challenges. I’m the same about generally wearing no make up other than a tinted moisturiser. Though I’m really glad it is an option than can work to cover till it heals, I have faith in my plastic surgeon but I’d hoped he would spare my lip as the hole was not touching the lip: only the graft and like you it distorts my top lip like amd feels thick. He said as it was so swollen he could not see where the lip like ended.  He says leave it for 6 months and he can do a second operation, which I will likely do, as the circular scar around the graft looks like a ringworm. Mind you  having it opened up again will be bad initially. I will also have laser for scarring. I can’t inagine how it’s going to look even when it’s settled as the graft is likely to be smooth: and different to the skin above my lip. Anyhow thanks again, you are ahead of me and I feel more positive that you are mending well. I’m told 12 weeks we will be okay, but some swelling will last for 6 months, and full healing could be 1-2 years. Wishing you the very best to feel confident and healed. X Jenn 

• FormerMember

Hi Minty, 8 months on and it really is okay. I mean I still hate the scar but no one else seems to notice anymore. I wanted to let you know that I had an consultation appt for laser this week and not sure I’m going to go through with it. Apart from being thousands of dollars for a full face to blend it in, (ablative laser around my mouth and then and then a more gentle Fraxel over rest of my face,)  it’s another few weeks of scabbing, weeping and healing that I don’t think I can cope with. However.... he did inject the edge of my lip with dermafiller and it looks great. It was a bit of a shock as I didn’t expect anything would happen at the consultation, but my lip now looks more even and it’s also made the scar appear a little flatter. I still have a slight ridge around the edge of the scar but it’s no longer making me self conscious. Interested in your progress and if you had laser, what sort and was it worth it? 

• FormerMember

Hi! Good to hear how you’re getting on. Nearly a year later & I'm ok ish with how I look. All swelling is gone & scar is only noticeable close up but the distorted lip really upsets me. It goes up and then down so it is quite a pronounced notch if that makes sense. I went to two plastic surgeons to get their opinion & surgery is the only option. The first a younger guy wanted to do quite a biggish op, raising up the mucosal bit of the lip etc. The other guy, an older well known plastic surgeon said a simpler operation of just removing the notch so I looked asymmetrical would be better. I’ll never have a full lip back but it will look better to the eye. Both options they recommend a general anaesthetic which makes me really question why the previous MOHS procedure was done all with locals & took over 5 hours start to finish. Hmmmm! I think I’m going to go with the simpler op. Scheduled end of Feb. They both said laser was pointless for my particular case. I could leave it but I just feel so conscious of it. The numbness is still there too which I hate! Good luck going forward. This whole thing has been very upsetting as I know you feel too xx

• FormerMember

Yep the whole thing skin cancer sucks. I’m glad they can do something to fix up your lip, you are brave to have it all opened up again, but worth it for a better end result. I’ve had 6 bcc’s off in two years but this was the only one on my face, others on my chest, back and stomach so easier to cover. I’m scared there will be more to come. i’m sure everyone thinks there’s is the worst spot but between lip and nostril really has been challenging. And mine still numb too. Surgeon says it’ll keep healing for up to 18 months but may never regain feeling.

I was really miserable about the look of it for quite a long time but perspective has returned. Wishing you all the very best.