Aldara cream

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 26 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Has anyone been prescribed aldara cream ? I've only used it for 2 weeks but had to stop as the whole of my chest has flared up and is sore oozing and blustering.  I'm not sure if this is a normal reaction. It only started as a really small spot on the right side of my chest. My Dr did not seem to know about the effects of aldara and I had to ask him to refer me back to dermatology consultant.  The consultant at the time never mentioned this horrific effect and didn't want to see me for 4 months. I would have thought they would want to see me during treatment. Now I've got to wait for another appointment.  Anyone else experienced this???

• Hi

I'm sorry to hear how much treatment you've needed recently to get rid of BCCs.

As the people who responded to this thread did have a reaction when using Aldara cream you would be better to start your own post so that all members of the group see it.

To do this you will first need to join the group by clicking on 'join this group' at the top of this page, Then select 'start a discussion', give your post a title and then type in your question. To save you typing it out again you could copy and paste your reply here into your new post.

I can understand why you think that you might as well stop applying the cream but I would get in touch with your consultant before doing this.

Let us know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi

Thanks for your reply, I shall do that now x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello Gillie

I had to use aldara last year for sixty days. My skin was absolutely fine for 3.5 weeks and then what appeared to be two spots appeared on my left cheek of my face where I was using the cream. Over time the spots got bigger and merged into one and I had a pretty severe reaction over time and needed breaks leading to the treatment going on for 4.5 months. 

Having been through the treatment and after a couple of months my skin healed very well and you can hardly see any redness on my skin  

Everyone reacts differently and I would recommend you follow your consultants advice. 

I’m here if you want to ask any questions. 

Rebecca xx

• FormerMember

Hello Rebecca,

I have been using Aldara for 2 weeks for a lesion on my chest, 

I was wondering did you or anyone else have any other side effects..?

Like you say everyone reacts differently.

The lesion is stable right now but I have been feeling quite lightheaded and unusually lethargic.

I haven't seen much information about this symptom or side effect.

Cheers

Pam

• FormerMember

Hello Pam. Thanks for your message. With the Aldara cream comes a very useful leaflet giving you lots of details on how to use it and the side effects. The website for British Association of Dermatologists also has a fact sheet on their site. 

i know that one of the side effects is flu like symptoms. When I went through my treatment I really tried to look after myself, I ate well, rested when I could, did yoga etc and I felt ok. 

Good luck with your journey. 

Rebecca xx

• FormerMember

Hi Rebecca,

thanks for the response ...I read the leaflet, and yes that is what I try to do too..

eat well, rest when I can ..and yoga ...my favourite thing.

I will check out British Association of Dermatologists.

I live in France so this site suits to discuss things in English.

Bon courage.!

Pam