Squamous cell diagnosed 1 year Cancer returned and wound not healing

• 3 replies
  • 34 subscribers

My 58 year old sister is presently on chemo. Wound not healing and she is in great pain, constantly and especially when a nerve is jolted. She is not eating and drinking little. Doctor has yet to give a stage or a prognosis. She lives alone. Any ideas comments or advice?

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the skin cancer group which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your sister's skin cancer has returned and that she has a wound that's not healing. I don't have any personal experience of this so have had a quick look in the group to see if anyone else has recently posted along similar lines and found that  did a couple of weeks ago. Their skin cancer is a basal cell carcinoma but their wound is also not healing.

I've 'tagged' them into my reply to you and hopefully they'll pop on to share their experience.

While you're waiting for replies, it It be great if you could put something about your sister's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Please be reassured that although the wound is not healing, given time it will eventually look much better.

I have completed two excisions for my squamous carcinoma on my left temple. First excision did not get all the cancer, as found during biopsy, so was repeated. All cancer finally removed but my full thickness skin graft failed.(Black, crusty and smelly). It took many weeks to finally heal. I have just completed four weeks of radiotherapy and the wound area has again become weepy and is not healing  as expected. Prescribed Flaminal cream which I apply covering the wound site with hydrocolloid dressings keeping the wound moist.

In just over two weeks my wound is barely noticeable, although I have a bald area so waiting for the hair to return which was lost during radiotherapy.

I also had sharp shooting pains before the excision and was informed that the cancer was a spindle cell type and aggressive. I needed deeper surgery to the nerve level. I have no pain at all at the moment so I do hope you have a good outcome.

• Thank you so much for your kind comments. Her cancer came back after radiation which made nodules on her upper thigh. They turned out to be cancer. The doctor has not prescribed Flaminal. We will definitely ask him. She has had this wound for a year. Her cancer is at very top of her right thigh. They tried a different chemo yesterday as the other is not working. She had an allergic reaction to the new chemo. Also I honor heard of the spindle cell cancer. Another question to ask the doctor. Thank God your pain has subsided. I will pray that you heal quickly and completely.