BCC on scalp - hair regrowth

• 5 replies
  • 32 subscribers

I've recently been diagnosed with a BCC on my scalp which needs to be removed. It's about 10mm x 8mm and have been told as the skin is tight it will be unlikely that they'll be able to stitch it together, it will need to heal from the bottom up leaving me with a bald patch. This was an NHS consultation, as the wait for surgery is so long I'm going to see a private dermatologist in a few weeks as I'm lucky enough to have cover through work. I'm sure he will have more information but I just wanted to ask about other people's experiences with hair regrowth after surgery. I understand that as they can't stitch it back together the hair can't regrow on the new skin? I also read about Mohs surgery and wondered if that would give it more of a chance? 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I haven't had a BCC removed from my scalp so can't help with your questions but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

I did a search in the forum looking for previous posts which mention the scalp and found these for you to have a look through.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and proposed treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi CJO36  I have had 2 bcc's removed from my face.  A few weeks ago I had something removed from my scalp, but the plastic surgeon is confident that it was a pillar cyst, but awaiting histology report.  I have a bald area about the size of a 2p. Hopefully my hair should regrow as hair folicles are still there, but not much sign of it yet.  It was stitched and top part of the scar has taken ages to heal. Once I have the all clear I have lots of potions to try and massage into the scalp to stimulate hair growth.  If you have a skin graft on your scalp then the hair doesnt grow again.  Hope this helps a bit for you.  Good Luck we are all here to support one another in this group .

• Hi Harlyn, Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Hope all your potions do the trick and you get some good regrowth. 

I had an appointment yesterday with a private consultant as it's a 12 month wait on the NHS for the surgery. He actually didn't think it was a clear cut BCC and wants to do a scrape biopsy first. He has set my expectations that it still may be, but he doesn't think it's conclusive so wants to check. I wasn't expecting that at all so trying not to get my hopes up! 

• Hi there,

I had quite a large bcc removed from my scalp. It had to be skin grafted so I have a bald patch there so the hair won’t grow back, It’s on the right side of my scalp and I have got used to it, I style my hair to cover it.

I waited over 6 months from biopsy to see a plastic surgeon on the Nhs, it was a few weeks from seeing the plastic surgeon to having the procedure 

Good luck with your treatment.

• I had all my treatments done privately too.  Where are you having them done at