BCC on nose

• 4 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi all. I feel a bit of a fraud even being on this website, when so many people are seriously ill.

I had a BCC removed from my nose last year by punch biopsy. Unfortunately the doctor didn't take enough margin and it needs to be done again. I've been told it will necessitate a skin graft. It is very close to the corner of my eye (maybe 4mm away).

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had something similar and how bolster dressings are attached as it's so close to the eye. I had a large BCC removed from my scalp a few years ago and came out of the hospital with what looked like a white Shredded Wheat stitched to my head! Given the position of this one I'm struggling to get my head around how they can stitch something on.

Any info on recovery time would be appreciated too. Not sure how long it will be before I can get back to some diy or even dog walking.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi Bry  I had a bcc removed from the side of my nose at the top extending under my eye.  It was right up to my tear duct and quite large by the time I had it done.  I thought, stupidly, that my glasses were rubbibng my nose.  I had a skin graft taken from the side of my face near my ear.  My Consultant made me a blue scourer type thing that was stitched to the graft. Apparently it stops the graft moving, much like your shredded wheat on your head but smaller.  He said I looked like I had a blue bumble bee on my nose.  It was ok other than I couldn't wear my glasses  which I had to put up with for quite a time, as when I had the dressing and  stitches out it was very tender so still couldn't wear them.  The only thing I didn't like was when dressing and scourer were removed I had a huge scab, which does happen somtimes, but better if it doesn't.  I contacted my Consultant and he told me to gently vaseline it so the scab came off, which it did.  Once I had the final consultation with him I massaged it all the time with Bio oil or nivea cream in the blue tin.  Very hard as so near my eye.  Consultant said when he saw the photo he was concerned the graft hadnt taken, but it had.  It is hardly visible now . This was the second one I had, as I had already had one removed with a skin flap from the bottom of my nose going into my face. Hope all goes well and feel free to ask me anything you want to as I know I wondered how they would do it.  It was a bit uncomfortable as every time I blinked my eyelashes caught on it and I could see it all the time, but I coped as I am sure you will... These bcc's are a damn nuisance and I am not a sun worshipper.  Just had a pillar cyst removed from my scalp as I was worried that was a bcc but it wasn't (hopefully) not had biopsy results yet as hopefully my hair will grow back soon as no graft done so hair folicles should be ok.

• Hi Harlyn, thanks for all the info. Can I just how long it was before you could get back to normal activities?

Thanks a lot and good luck with the biopsy.

• Hi Bry. Not long, luckily we were still wearing masks so I could go out hidden behind a mask.  I told the surgeon I wouldnt be going out for a while and he said go out be brave and let the world know you have had an operation.  I would think within 2 weeks you should be fine to walk the dog etc.  It was just that I couldnt wear make up and felt such a mess, but suppose that was vanity.  Once I got rid of the scabs I felt more like going out as it was just red.  Think doing diy etc you would be ok as soon as stitches and dressing are gone as long as you avoid dust etc getting into thr scar.  I havent got any pets now but they did keep asking me saying you must be careful around animals. Luckily I was 73 and retired so didnt have to go to work etc.  I was very worried, like you are, about how they would do it so near my eye, but he did and it was fine. Think it is the fear of the unknown.  Just something else I remembered my eye watered quite a bit afterwards which apparently is normal as they interfere with the tear duct.  The host site down the side of my face healed brilliantly and I looked yesterday and it is almost invisible.  Keep me updated how you go on, always nice to hear other peoples stories.  Where are you having it done 

• Hi Harlyn, thanks for taking the time to give me so much information. I'm having it done at St. Mary's in Portsmouth. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again.