Skin cancer on foot

• 8 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi I have just had a biopsy for a mole that was on the bottom of my foot, the results showing a 1b melanoma. I now have to have a nuclear X-ray to determine whether the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes as well as a wide excision, I think that’s the right terminology to make sure that wider margins have been taken. Does anyone have any experience of this please. I’m feeling very scared and alone

• I do hope someone replies soon who has experience of this. You can always message me.  Good luck. X 

• Sorry to hear this but please try not to worry too much (easier siad than done I know)... I had one on my face (cheek, near mouth) and was misdiagnosed in May so my treatment was delayed. Eventually I had a biopsy in September result was a 1.1mm malignant melanoma.  had surgery at the beginning of November. I had the scans the day before for the lymph node - it took a couple of hours and the technicians were very good with me. However when it came to the op they couldn't identify the node as my body had discharged the tracer (I've since been told this is quite common) so a week after the op I had an ultrasound scan on my neck and that was all clear. Yesterday I got the brilliant news with results from path lab of what they had taken away and they've got it all out! So now I will be monitored every 3 months for 3 years then twice a year for 2 years. I have gone through months being petrified, turning into an ostrich who didn't want to talk at all about it ... and would not look at the leaflets I was given ...

... eventually a few weeks later I came round enough to get to my GP who turned out to be so patient and calmed me down. So I made it (with my daughter) to Christies (Manchester) where all the staff I saw that day were wonderful, taking their time to let the info sink in (my daughter was a big help as she typed it all onto her phone and was an extra pair of ears listening). The next day I had a call from their complementary therapy team which helped alot - they then sent me a pack and links to their videos the help with breathing, relaxing and taking tension away ... I am scared of being knocked out (though I've never had a problem with anaesthetic) which added to the anxiety ...

so on the surgery day I was 3 hours by myself (though I could message my daughter etc) whilst they prepared me etc (there was an emergency which meant they might have had to cancel but it went ahead only half an hour later than planned. I woke up abut 2 hours later just like it was morning and time to wake up ... no problems. I was keen to get smiling as I'd been told I might had a droopy mouth but I didn't. I had 23 stitches - all very neatly done by a great plastic surgeon. Had to have a flap as the wide excision needed was 2 cm and although the offending thing was small it had grown within a much larger area of hyper-pigmentation. 6 weeks on and the healing ahs been amazing.

I hope your hospital has a similar set up to mine especially with the complementary therapy ... 

Don't feel alone ... 

• Hi  

I've replied to the post you put up in the melanoma group asking about my experience with having the radioactive dye injected.

This procedure doesn't determine if the melanoma has spread but rather 'lights up' the nearest lymph node to which it might have spread to. The surgeon will then remove this lymph node at the same time as doing the wide local excision (WLE) and all this material will then be sent off to the pathology labs for examination.

You might like to join the melanoma forum as you'll then connect directly with others who have had melanoma and the follow-up operations. If this is something that you'd like to just click on the link I've created.

Anne 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Saphiire, I just came across your profile and found it very interesting to read as I’m in a similar position to yourself so I just wanted to say hello. I had a biopsy earlier this year which came back as stage 1B melanoma, 1.0mm deep, no ulceration and no lymphovascular invasion, mitotic rate of 1. 
    I’m unable to have the SLNB as I’m pregnant so can’t go under general anaesthetic so they’ve offered me ultrasounds instead at Christie’s. I have my first one booked for a few weeks time, still waiting on a date for my WLE. I was pleased to read on your profile that you receive the results there and then as the waiting is difficult! 
    I hope your checks continue to be clear! 

• Hello! I've had 2 ultrasound scans now. It was good to get the results immediately with a follow up confirmation letter. I've not had the results yet from my 2nd surgery - a tidy up of the original scar and removal of something else on my forehead (which I'm reassured didn't look nasty) which was 2 weeks ago now. I really wanted the SLNB but it wasn't to be. Where is your melanoma? I've been working hard on my V shaped scar on my cheek. being  my age 71, I'm not really too concerned about it's appearance - just want it to be the best it can be. Christie's have been great so be assured you're in really good hands! Please keep in touch and Best Wishes for your treatment and your baby too! X

• Good luck with the results! I also wanted the SLNB which is why they offered me the ultrasounds as an alternative. Although they did mention that with mine being 1.0mm, I would only of been offered the SLNB as they have the capacity to do so, given the new NICE guidelines I don’t quite fall under the new criteria to have it done. You have to be over 1.0mm, so 1.1mm like yours, or 0.8-1.0mm along with another concerning feature such as ulceration, lymphovascular invasion or a mitotic rate of 2 or more. 
    Mine was on my leg so I know the WLE will be sore for a couple of days whilst trying to walk and the ultrasound will be of my groin. I’m nervous for the ultrasound and just hoping everything comes back ok, especially since I’m pregnant. The melanoma diagnosis has come at a bad time but I’m glad I’m in good hands now and I’ve tried to focus on happier things instead. Please keep in touch too! It’s nice to speak to others in a similar situation! X

• How are you getting on now Potte? I also had a stage 1B melanoma removed earlier this year. 

• Hi Saphiire, just wanted to let you know that I recently had my first ultrasound of my lymph nodes and got the results on the day to say they looked fine/benign which I was pleased about. I haven’t received a date for my next one yet but I’ll follow it up soon when I’m due to have my WLE. Hope you’re doing well!