What happens after excision biopsy confirmed BCC

• 2 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi. 

I have just been diagnosed with BCC after having an excision biopsy. I received the results in a letter and it doesn't mention on the letter if I have any follow up appointment or further treatment. It just says that once BCC is removed it should not cause any issues. 

I have had melanoma in situ previously and had a WLE after biopsy and then checks after that. 

I just wondered if I would have follow up appointment to check for further lesions or to make sure all of it has been cut out or do you get discharged. I had full body photos done at my initial consultation so they have a reference point as I have lots of moles.

Thanks

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

When my husband had a BCC removed from his leg he had a similar letter to yours and didn't have any follow-up appointments. However, when my father had a BCC removed he had regular check-ups and more BCCs removed. Therefore, it might depend on the hospital's protocol as to whether you have check-ups or not. The best thing to do would be to phone the dermatology department of your hospital and ask if you will be receiving any follow-up appointments or not.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I had 2 bcc's removed and had plastic surgery on my face. I did have a follow up appointment on both occasions and with one even another follow up to make sure Consultant and me were happy with the result.  I wanted him to see me yearly but he said it wasn't necessary as he knew I was sensible and would contact him if I was worried.  This was done privately thought.