Skin cancer anxiety

• 10 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi just an update as I said I would let others know how my CBT counselling went - all I can say is that’s it’s a good job that I have a sense of humour !! I initially asked my GP to refer me for counselling via the NHS and 3 months later I received a call from a trainee counsellor that asked me loads of questions and called back a week later to say that I had severe health anxiety and moderate depression and the waiting list is 12 months! 

I have booked a skin check for early July with a private consultant as I am worrying so much. I am also dreading going to this appointment as I am scared what they may find. I cannot talk to anyone about this as I burst into tears and really hoped the counselling would have helped. Anyway enough of my moaning just needed to get it off my chest ! 

• What a terrible waiting time!!

We're you given any advice on how to cope in the meantime?

• No nothing ! I could pay privately I suppose but it’s not cheap by any means 

• That is dreadful Figgy.  People have no idea how anxious we get with these skin cancers, they just seem to think they are so trivial.  Just try and relax (know it is difficult) until you have your skin analysis in July.  I am the same looking in my magnifying mirror all the time checking on any tiny tiny new imperfections.  It is what it is I am afraid, think some people just have a skin cancer, have it dealt with an never think about it again.  Afraid a lot of us on this site aren't like that and we do worry.  Here for you any time you need to chat.  We go to Cornwall at the weekend so I am paranoid about that.  My sun cream luggage gets bigger all the time, hats galore too.  Hugs xx

• Hi Harlyn thank you for your kind words ..to be honest I have been a lot better since I booked the skin check but as it is getting closer to the appointment I am starting to worry. It is what it is though and I will get through it ! 

Yes sun protection is a constant concern with me too especially as here in Devon it has been so hot! I have been wearing a lot of linen and Seasalt and Poetry are doing some lovely cullottes and three quarter sleeve tops that are lovely and cool. I live only a couple of miles from the Tamar Bridge which is probably how you will cross the Tamar river  into Cornwall. It’s the best time to go as much quieter than in the school holidays - I hope you have a lovely time and I will update you on my appointment - hugs xxx

• No it's not cheap. I have a friend who paid privately for counselling. It wasn't for health anxiety but like you it was going to be a long wait.

I wonder if there's any charities that run help groups for anxiety related issues?

It may be worth looking into 

• That’s a good idea I will have a look now x

• Just saw one counselling charity which is very close to where I live and it is not free but is £25 per session which is a lot cheaper. 

• That's good.  May be worth trying 

• I am a champion worrier too.  I can only send hugs.  I hope the private scan will ease your mind somewhat.