Sentinel lymphnode biopsy results

• 3 replies
  • 35 subscribers

I was diagnosed with Melanoma in November from a mole that was removed October. I had an extra wide local excision and lymphnode biopsy a week ago and at my post op was told I'd get the results at my follow up with the surgeon on 7th February. From the original removal to 7th Feb will be 5 months, is this normal? I'm worried if it has spread to lymphnodes that leaving it this long could be a disaster. Is it normal to wait so long for biopsy results? Why don't they worry it will spread more and won't be able to be treated?x

• Hi mamawith cancer.  I had two basal cell skins cancers removed from my face at two different times. My Consultant got my biopsy results back from both of them at my 5 week check up and confirmed in both cases wide enough margins had been taken,  I wonder if it takes longer for lymphnode biopsies.  I agree with you it does seem rather a long time to wait in case it is spreading.  These damn skin cancers are pesky things aren't they.  Where was your melanoma xx

• I'm hoping it's maybe just when I will meet with him if everything's OK but will get results earlier if not... I was told on the day of surgery it would be a week to 10 days for results. I got diagnosed when I was 36 weeks pregnant and it's been so stressful, I was hoping I could focus on my new baby in the next few weeks without the dread of results. It was in my thigh so lymphnodes from my groin were removed. Really thought they'd be quicker to check if they're worried its spread Disappointedxx

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that you were recently diagnosed with melanoma and I know how scary being told you have this can be.

To give you an idea of my timescales, my excision biopsy was mid-October 2016 and I was told I had melanoma at the end of November. I then had to wait until mid-February 2017 for the follow-up wide local excision (WLE) and sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB). Fortunately I only had to wait a couple of weeks for the results.

It sounds like your timescale of 2 months from original excision biopsy to having the follow-up WLE and SLNB was very prompt but I know how hard waiting for the actual results can be.

You might like to join us over in the melanoma group, which I can see you've joined, as then you'll connect with others who are at the same stage as you for support and to share experiences. 

It would also be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"