Recent diagnosis

• 14 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi my name is Kim and new to the group, I was diagnosed yesterday with basal cell carcinoma on my leg, which came out if the blue as previously been told it was nothing to worry about. I am a bit worried as it appeared in Feb and just diagnosed now. The dermatologist has said that it will most likely be a full exisition but with the shock I have left the appointment without asking how long I will wait to have for this to be done. Would anyone have any idea how long that nsy be?

• Hi Kim and wlecome to the group and hope you find it as useful as I did when diagnosed with basal cell skin cancers.  Everyone is so supportive as we are in the same boat.  I was diagnosed in December and had first operation in January but I did have it done privately as had to have plastic surgery as they were on my face.  Perhaps would be a good idea to ring your Consultants Secretary who will be able to tell you what the waiting times are in your area.  Our gp has put a waiting time schedule for all operations on a facebook page and dermatology for here is about 12 - 20 week wait, but your area may be different.  Did he say it was just a straight excision or have you got to have a skin graft.  Where abouts do you live Kim.  Good Luck, keep in touch and contact us anytime we are all here to help you.x

• Hi Kim and welcome to the Group and hope you find it as helpful as I did when I was diagnosed with 2 basal cell cancers.  Everyone is so supportive as we are all in the same boat.  I was diagnosed in November and referred to plastic surgeon in December and had operation in January.  Mine was a private Consultant as having to have plastic surgery wanted a good job doing.  I would telephone your Consultant's Secrertary as she will be able to tell you what the waiting time is in your area.  Our area for dermatology is about 12 - 20 weeks but yours may be different.  Is it a straight forward excision or do you have to have a skin graft.  Keep in touch and feel free to ask any questions you want to as you will find everyone will help as best we can. Good Luck xx

• Hi Harlyn thank you so much for replying no mention of skin grafts so think just straight exisition. I will give my consultant a call to enquire thats a good idea. I will also have a look at local waitlists as well. Thank you again.
  • You are welcome Kim.  One of our gp's put a waiting list on facebook showing how long the wait was in every department at our local hospital.  My cousins wife had a basal cell removed from her leg, calf area just above her ankle. Straight insision removed it and a few stitches to close wound.  It was fine, just done in clinic with local anaesthetic only took about half an hour and she was fine,  Unfortunately mine was quite complex had to have skin flap on one and skin graft on the other, one done January and one in March.  I have been discharged now and they are doing ok (so everyone tells me!!). Where abouts are you from Kim. xx

• Thank you Harlyn, mine sounds exactly where your friends was so really helpful to hear it was straight forward. I am in South Lanarkshire in Scotland.

• I was going to ask a very similar question. How long did people wait from GP referral to hospital appointment?

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani My gp referred me on the two week cancer pathway, but in the end I went privately as had to have plastic surgery. Where is your skin cancer xx

• Thanks Harlyn

Long story but in short.....on my thigh and diagnosed for five years as a dermatofibroma. It's changed in appearance and got itchy and yet another GP now thinks it's a BCC. Referred me USD but NICE says BCC is not an urgent referral. Now have to get back to GP to ask which consultant he has sent me to (stupidly didn't think to ask at the time) in case I have to chase them up.

I'm exploring private options for speed.

I've had another cancer (not skin) and I'm nearly 4 years clear of that...That referral was messed up. I'm an old lag at this unfortunately

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani

I had a basal cell on my nose.

My GP didn't think it was anything so I waited 6 months to see a dermatologist who then said It was a basal cell skin cancer. She referred me to the head and neck surgeon which was a 3 month wait and then another 3 month wait for surgery.

I had to fight for a dermatology assessment 

• Thanks. I suspect I may need to do a lot of chasing 

Dani 

Community Champion badge