BCC new

• 5 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hello, I was diagnosed with bcc on my upper lip in November and had Mohs surgery last week. I was completely thrown by the diagnosis and I can't explain why since I knew the lump on my lip was 'funny' and I feel foolish for not getting it checked out sooner. I thought it was irritation from wearing a mask and it didn't seem like something I needed to get checked out during a pandemic. I now think if I'd gone to the dr before it could have been treated more simply. I've also had to listen to people saying that bcc is not serious and it's easily treated. I do know that but I also feel that it's not very helpful to tell me this as I'm not a person who makes a fuss about health stuff and have been always been very healthy. Maybe I was looking for more sympathy than I received. My father died from cancer in 2012, and my mother has had melanoma so I do feel at risk I suppose and maybe that's why I felt so thrown. 

On the positive side the surgeon was very nice and the wound is healing well and so i feel I've had good treatment. I feel a little uncertain about what to do next although I know that I need to be more vigilant in future about getting checked, wearing sunscreen etc. It's good to read about others who are going through the same thing. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you've had to have Mohs surgery to remove a BCC from your upper lip but that's great that it's healing well.

I've had both a melanoma and a BCC removed over the last 5 years and I can definitely empathise with you on people's reactions. It really doesn't matter how life threatening or not a BCC is, it's still cancer and it's still a shock to be told that you have it. I think also because skin cancer isn't treated with chemotherapy or radiotherapy lots of people think that it isn't 'proper' cancer which can be incredibly frustrating and unhelpful. Anyway, no one here will dismiss your concerns or worries.

As for what you need to do next; I was advised that the best way to protect my skin was for it to be covered up and to only wear sunscreen on areas that can't be easily covered, ie face, neck, back of hands, etc. I decided this was a good excuse to buy a whole new wardrobe of clothes, so every cloud has a silver lining!

Take care x

Edit - Just to add, I also check my body once a month to see if I have any new moles or if any of the existing ones have changed. As I have many moles I took photos of the various sections of my body, ie left lower arm, right lower arm, etc, when I was first diagnosed and use these to compare against.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you so much for your warm words and your tips for managing risk for the future. Taking photos sounds like a really positive step forward and I will work on doing that. Now I know more about what the non mole areas of concern might look like I can keep an eye out for anything that looks 'funny'. Thanks again.

• Hi Freddie

I am waiting to hear if a slightly flaky area just above my lip is bcc, having recently had a biopsy. I had no idea it could be anything before Covid and it didn't seem worth a GP visit. I eventually mentioned it at the GP after going for something else and she referred me. Surprised to say the least as it's moles we're meant to check and not enough info out there for slightly flaky patches imo.

I hope your wound is still healing well? Is it on or above your lip? I'm hoping if I go for MOHS that I will get sedation as I found the biopsy injections very difficult. Did you get this or a general? I also had a SCC pointed out and have used solareze but no idea if other patches could be suspect as I wasn't checked all over. 

All the best

• Hello Martho, nice to hear from you. I shall keep my fingers crossed for you re the flaky skin patch. That sounds exactly like my experience though. Looking back I remembered that there had also been what I thought was a blocked pore in the same place and the flaky patch was what developed next. I then developed a visible lump in my lip and that was when I knew it was something 'funny'. The Mohs surgery was much better than I expected having not had anything like that before. I had a local anaesthetic which was really quite painless. I also had a painful experience with the biopsy but not with the actual surgery so I wouldn't worry about having a local anaesthetic. The surgeon has done an amazing job at removing the bcc and restoring my lip.

The lip has healed incredibly well and my husband says he can't really notice anything. My lip gets dry though where the scar is so I rub lip balm into the area as often as I can remember which was suggested by the surgeon to prevent any lumpiness at the site. I think it will be a few more weeks until it is considered healed and the healing will continue for a while. My lip feels thinner at the site of removal of the cancer and I don't know if that will change but it looks like a normal lip and I think it would be difficult for anyone to spot who didn't know I had had the surgery.

Like you I would never have known to look out for a patch of flaky skin. It didn't look like any of the pictures of bcc or other skin cancers that I have seen. This makes me think it is of limited use to tell people to look out for changes and get them checked out if worried because I didn't think it was anything to worry about. Good luck with the biopsy and I hope all goes well for you.

• Very reassuring to hear, thank you for telling me Grinning