Biopsy current waiting time

• 1 reply
  • 35 subscribers

Hi everyone,

My name is Rachel, 31 yo. I had an excisional biopsy on a large lower eyelid lesion 4 weeks ago due to a slow (4 year) growing large lesion near the inner corner on my lower eyelid. 

Surgery went very well and I was told it would be a 2 week wait for lab to check pathology on it. 

It has now been four long weeks and safe to say I’m getting a little more concerned as the days pass. I don’t have my consultants secretary’s contact details and don’t know how to even contact them. It was done through the NHS but at a private hospital. All I was really told was that I would receive a letter with the results no matter what they were. 

Anyone have any idea on the current waiting times and what’s normal?

thank you. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well but I know how difficult waiting for results can be.

When I had a suspected basal cell carcinoma (BCC) removed from my chest in the summer I was told that the results should be through in about 4 weeks but in fact I got them after 3 weeks. However 5 years ago, when I had a lesion on my arm removed, it took 6 weeks for the results to come back. Unfortunately, there's no 'normal' timescale it just depends how busy the pathology laboratories are when your biopsy is received. Most people usually get their results back within 4 weeks.

I was given the consultant's secretary's contact number in case I hadn't heard after 4 weeks. If you haven't been given this you could phone the hospital where your consultant is based and ask to be put through to their secretary. He or she probably won't be able to tell you what the results are but they should be able to tell you whether they're back yet or how much longer they might be.

Do come back and let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"