SCC

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

Hi and thanks for reading.

I'm not sure where to start, think or feel! It's all happened so quickly that i can't seem to process anything. Yesterday I had a hospital appointment and ended up having surgery there and then to remove what they said was a Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  I am now waiting for the results to confirm and the results of the samples of skin/tissue around it to see if has spread further. I'm all over the place! Any advice/support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks sarah x

• Hi Sarah and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you've recently been diagnosed with a squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) and it's natural that you should feel as you do. Hopefully you were given information about this type of skin cancer when you were in hospital but, if not, clicking on the link I've created will take you to the leaflet produced by BAD (British Association of Dermatologists). 

As you will see it's the second most common skin cancer in the UK and the vast majority are low risk and are cured by the excision you've already had.

I haven't had this type of skin cancer, so don't have any experience to share with you, but there are others in the group who have. You could have a look for previous posts about it by typing 'squamous cell carcinoma' into the search bar at the top of the page.

Waiting for results can be a horribly anxious time and my best advice would be to do things that you enjoy to take your mind off the "what ifs". Lots of people find mindfulness really useful and, if this is something that interest you, clicking here will take you to the NHS page with links to apps some of which are free. You might also find this information on how to ease worry when waiting for medical test results helpful.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Do come back and let us know the results of the biopsy

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"