Basal Cell Carcinoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi,

I've just been diagnosed with Basal Cell Carcinoma - a small sore started on my leg about 4 years ago, never responded to various treatments and here I am. I've been told that this type of problem is benign and not classed as serious, which may be as well taking the NHS waiting list into account! The sore is about 25mm now so it is growing slowly and isn't particularly painful - just normal recurrent scabbing process. It's a bit more concerning for me as I've had long history with various cancers and recently been diagnosed with contained prostate cancer. So will have a good read through on this forum and see if there is any relevant discussion, would also appreciate any feedback here.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you've just been diagnosed with a basal cell carcinoma (BCC) on your leg. You are right that they are not classed as serious but that doesn't stop us worrying about them!

BCCs can be removed in a variety of ways but when I had one it was removed by surgery under a local anaesthetic. There is more information about what they are and how they're removed in the link I've created and if you have any questions just fire away as someone here will undoubtedly have had the relevant experience to be able to help you further.

Do you know how your consultant is proposing to remove it?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have been referred to the plastic surgical people by the consultant that diagnosed the condition. He did advise that it would be local anaesthetic surgical removal. The plastic surgery is in a bit of disarray where I am, having moved from one hospital to another. I think I was 433 on the list when I last asked. I'm now trying to find out if there are any time limits whereby you can go private at NHS expense, but I imagine this is classed as cosmetic. 

• I wouldn't have thought that the removal of a cancerous lesion would be classed as cosmetic .

I'd be interested to know if you there are any time limits after which you can have it done privately but I can't remember anyone here having the surgery privately but paid for by the NHS.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember

No, me neither, lb, but it seems to be that way. I'm comparing my two cancer treatments, prostrate and this basal. After a month I have two folders full of paperwork, appointments, scans, embarrassing investigations, lol, a choice of treatments and potions for the prostate - whereas, on the other hand, after years, a waiting list of hundreds that the system would not reveal without my poking and prodding on this BSC front.

I don't really want to charge the NHS, our beloved - my daughter has spent her life working for it - but I hope to concentrate some unseen minds...

Received a call yesterday from my GP, who has had similar experiences to myself trying to get a status for her original referral. The computer system has simply not been updated to represent the changes of the plastic surgery clinic from one hospital to the other. Telephone numbers for the original clinic on the system are still being used and causing far more internal traffic as ward nurses, etc., try to get people to the correct destination. That being the next problem, the new clinic does not yet seem to be up and running, at least for this level/type of skin disorder. All very understandable with the trials of the last couple of years, but resolving the communications problems it would seem would be in everyone's interest.

In the meantime, I've made online enquiries about private treatment and been told consultations are almost immediate and treatment slots available within days too, so, at least that is an encouraging standby. Apparently, the consultations are very thorough and sympathetic - the doctor will say whether the condition can be left for the waiting list or needs a more urgent response.

• I think the reason that you're being seen quickly for your prostate cancer is that it is a malignant cancer whereas BCCs are not. I know that doesn't help when you just want to get rid of the thing but I guess they have to prioritise. 

I paid for a private consultation when I found a lesion on my arm and I think it was about £150 then (5 years ago). As I didn't have private health care the consultant wrote to my GP asking him to refer me to his NHS practice so that he could do the excision without me having to pay. As you say, any decent consultant should either advise you that a delay is fine and to stay on the NHS or get you referred to their NHS practice.

Let us know what you decide to do.

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Thank you - yes I will let you know the outcome for this BCC issue. That is about the same price I'm being quoted for initial consultancy so far. The actual treatment is £500-£1,200.00 and waiting no longer than 10 days on outpatient basis. I'm also going to ask about private treatment at Christie tomorrow while there for other issue. 

Yes, I couldn't agree more that the NHS has to prioritise in these troubled and testing times but the issue here, which may be just my location, is that they are not communicating their decisions/priorities. In fact, I have had no formal response since I was referred, so I am not in a position to make the decision about going private. It has taken me a month to find out that there is a clinical list and I am on it - indirectly speaking to someone who has access to the database. But my GP has now written asking for the expected timescale and priority for treatment, so watch this space.

Best, Stephen.

• Hi Stephen

Yes, I think you could be right in that it depends where you are in the country as to how quickly you get your excision.

Back in June I had a BCC removed only about 3 weeks after my consultant decided it needed to come off and my husband, under a different health trust, had one removed a couple of weeks after he saw a dermatologist. In my case the consultant had a list of available dates when a plastic surgeon was available to do excisions for dermatology so I knew when my appointment would be just not the exact time at that point. However a friend of mine, in yet another trust, has only just had his BCC removed several months after going to his GP.

Whilst Covid might have a hand in slowing down operations even before Covid it was 'normal' for some people unfortunately to have to wait months for an excision.

x

Community Champion Badge