Bcc on my nose

• 8 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi ,

I have been a stalker on this group for a couple weeks now, but felt it was time to talk.

I saw my plastic surgeon(funny hearing myself say that) about 5 weeks ago. I knew I would be having the mohs procedure but was sat shocked at hearing that depending on how bad I would either need the left side of my nose reconstructed or I would have a flap reconstruction. I sat in that appointment alone as no one else could come in with me (covid). I was even asked if I was mentally prepared for what was going to happen. I was speechless and had no words or even questions. I came away from that appointment shocked and the flood of anxiety that came over me was full on . I kept thinking im a 42 Yr old woman and I didn't think I was that vain. Yet I felt $%$@ scared about what was going to happen

I was told the waiting list was months and first thought im gonna need that to get my head round it. I am on tablets for anxiety now as my emotions have been very up and down. 

I understand what needs to happen and I am coming to terms with the scaring its just the In between process from surgery to end result I am anxious about.

Did/does anyone else feel that way?

Sorry for long post . Today was a day I needed to get it out

• I absolutely felt that way.  I had a forehead flap after MOHs.  Hold on in there.  I found that the time before the op to be the hardest emotionally.   Once the op is done, that draws a line in the sand and you get a little better each day.  You will be fine.  Hugs xx

• Thank you x Blush so many things and scenarios  go round my head x 

• Hi Mummatwinkle,

I felt overwhelmed at the news as well. Two years ago, I too had a BCC of the nose, unfortunately it was infiltrating and resulted in needing the Paramedian Forehead Flap to repair. Hang in there. The time before surgery is very difficult but this time gives you a chance to prepare how you will get along after surgery. After the flap is detached at the 4-5 week mark, things get better and better every day. I busied myself with projects I could do at home in the weeks when I didn't feel comfortable being seen in public. I organized housekeeping help, someone to pick up my online grocery orders (until I realized I could do this myself with a bandage on), how you will get along if you are used to wearing glasses, (magnifying glass works wonders),  how to "work from home" or if you can return to work and when, and just be kind to yourself. Try to be patient, it is a bumpy road but the rough part ends and you will be amazed at how well you can heal both emotionally and physically. There are others here on the forum who have healed and look wonderful too! You are not being vain by being concerned with your appearance. There is ALOT that can be done to lessen scars, much of it starts right after surgery with good incision care and scar gels and good nutrition. Everyone's journey is different, but feel free to ask anything. Best of luck to you.

Teddi

• Thank you so much your words have actually really helped knowing that others feel the way I do x means so much x

• I feel like that , I went to my a appointment today to hear the doc say she wouldn’t do it as it was too big my nose would collapse and I must have reconstruction with maybe ear cartilage and skin graft The family don’t seem to understand how big this thing is

• Hi Grace,

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. It is overwhelming in the beginning. Even though I have a "medical" family, some of them were not prepared for exactly what would happen. I too was told that cartilage might be needed from my ear to rebuild part of my nose. Fortunately for me, that didn't happen but the flap graft was quite large. I found some pictures online to show my family members that didn't understand what was going on in hopes that they would start to understand the extent of the repair. Hang in there, feel everything you need to feel and then make a plan for how you handle daily life after surgery while you heal. It is a long process but you will be amazed in the end how it all works out. Be good to yourself. Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck to you. 

Teddi

• Hi I recently been advised that I need Mohs facial reconstruction for a BBC to my nose 

this has impacted I my emotional and mental health massively and plan to see my GP for medication. I have also called the consultant today to request a further appointment to discuss less invasive procedures due to the effect on my mr mental health and the increased impact this will have post surgery 

I plan to ask if radiotherapy can be considered as a option 

I really hope I can be given other alternative treatment options I can’t sleep or eat and or even concentrate 

• Hi Kaymac,

I am so sorry to hear how this is impacting you. I think most of us here will agree that we all felt scared and anxious at the diagnosis and after learning we would need MOHS. It is all you can think about in the beginning. If you haven't had the MOHS yet, maybe you need to have another discussion with your dermatologist or surgeon to see what "reconstruction" they anticipate you needing or what other options you have. 

I have had MOHS twice in the past 2 years for BCC (nose and eyelid). After MOHS, My nose required a paramedian forehead flap graft to repair. The eyelid was repaired by a plastic surgeon who performed a closure without graft. Both times, the stress was OVER THE TOP but you can find others here who have also gone through this and can give you hope. I was so very worried about how I would look, if they would really get it all, how I would cope, what insurance would cover, etc. etc. The process for me was long but 2 years out from surgery, I think most people would never know I had such extensive reconstruction. It is AMAZING what can be done to lessen scars and improve skin texture and appearance. Feel free to ask any questions but on this site, you will find a lot of support and also that everyone has a different journey. I would never have believed two years ago that life would go on "normally" but it has and the healing physically AND emotionally just takes time. Hugs to you. 

Teddi