BCC /SCC Diagnosis scared

• 1 reply
  • 35 subscribers

I recently got diagnosed by Dr from examination with probable BCC on my cheek and when biopsy was done they have tested for both BCC and SCC, it has been there for over a year I thought it was a bit of scar tissue until recently it changed and became redder and slightly larger, it has been 10 days since it was sent away and I’m scared as I would have thought of it was clear then diagnosis would have come back quicker 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

I know how horrible waiting for the results of a biopsy can be as I've had a few excision biopsies over the past 5 years. 

The time it takes for your results to come back has no bearing on whether you have a skin cancer or not so please try not to worry too much. I know this is easier said than done! It is purely down to how busy the pathology laboratories are. If they don't have much work in then the results come back quickly but if they're really busy then the results take longer to come back. 

Most people's results come back between 2-6 weeks with the average being about 4 weeks. When the biopsy was done you should have been given a timescale in which to expect the results along with a phone number to call if they weren't back within that time. What sort of time frame were you given?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"