Bricking it

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Might be overreacting, but would welcome advice. Saw gp on Weds, Mark on forearm, pics sent to hospital who have now said I need an urgent referral  with a possible Basal Cell Carcinoma. Really don't know what to expect. Any help appreciated tia

• Hi  and welcome to the Online Community. Any possibility of cancer diagnosis causes fear, stress and these are anxious times for you. You've come to the right place to connect with other people in the same situation who can offer you support.

I've a different type of cancer so I can't offer advice myself but I've tagged the Community Champ, , of this group. She's currently on holiday but she'll be along to say "Hi".

It’s always helpful to others if you write a little something (or a lot) about yourself and your journey to date. You can enter it into your profile (click on your username and select “Profile”) It’s helpful to other members with a similar diagnosis who can then hopefully answer your questions. It also means that you don't have to keep writing the same thing over and over. You can amend or update it at any time. 

To find more information covering diagnosis and treatments there are pages covering most types of cancers which can be found on our Online Information and Support Section

The Macmillan Support Services also offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs B xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi  and a second welcome to the online community

I don't think anyone here will feel that you're over reacting as being told that you're being referred urgently is a pretty scary thing to be told.

I don't know how much you know about basal cell carcinoma (BCC) so I'll apologise now if you already know this. If you click on the link I've created it will give you a more in depth explanation but basically a BCC is the most common form of skin cancer in the UK accounting for more than 80% of skin cancers. 

BCCs rarely spread to other parts of the body, so although it is a type of skin cancer it is almost never a danger to life and most BCCs can be cured with simple surgery.

When you go to see the dermatologist he will most likely examine the lesion using a dermascope, which is like a magnifying glass, although he may not need to if it's obvious to him that it's a BCC.

If he thinks it is some form of skin cancer you will then have an excision biopsy under a local anaesthetic, probably not on the same day, and the lesion will be sent away to the pathology laboratories for them to see what it is.

If you do have an excision biopsy ask how long it's currently taking in your area to get the results back and how you'll be told. I've just had an excision biopsy on my chest and had the results back 4 weeks later, which is about average, by letter.

Do come back and let us know when you have a date to see the dermatologist and feel free to ask any questions in the meantime.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you Latchbrook, very reassuring,   appreciate your info