T2 Melanoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hey everyone, 

I haven’t accessed a forum before so not sure how this works. I received diagnosis today for a T2a melanoma and been referred for lymph node assessment. I don’t know how to feel, scared mainly I guess. My sister has stage 3 breast cancer and it feels like family are seeing my diagnosis as nothing in comparison, I guess it’s not but doesn’t take away from my pain and fear around it and I really don’t know how to manage it all! 

emily x 

• Hi Emily and a very warm welcome to the online community

I too was diagnosed with melanoma stage T2a and although my diagnosis was over 4 years ago I can still remember how numb and worried I felt when told.

I'm sorry to read that your family has dismissed your cancer as nothing in comparison to your sister's and that they've made you feel like that too. Rest assured that there's no chance that anyone here will belittle what you have been diagnosed with as we all understand how dangerous melanoma can be.

Your family probably think that because the lesion has been surgically removed that it's all done and dusted. It might help if you point them to this information on melanoma so that they can try and understand how you might be feeling and what you'll be going through.

Do you have a date yet for the wide local excision (WLE) and sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB)? I've had both of these procedures and I'm happy to share my experiences if you want to know anything.

You might also like to join us over in the melanoma group and, if this is something that you'd like to do, clicking on the link I've provided will take you straight there where you can join and post in the same way as you did here.

It would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Emily,

just had to write when I saw you mention that people are not reacting the same way as to other types of cancer. I had the exact same reaction 4 years ago when I was diagnosed… I was completely taken aback by how people reacted especially some of my close family. Years on they do now understand especially as melanoma has been covered on tv programs such as stand up to cancer, bake off.

That said I know exactly how you are feeling now and highly recommend using this forum as a sounding block and to ask any questions. A really great bunch of people who are 100% supportive and understanding.

Good luck and stay strong.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you! Certainly will update profile when I get a second. Haven’t had a date for the assessments yet, all such a waiting game! x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Sarah 

Sorry to hear you had the same reaction. I think with my family maybe there is just so much going on we are all overwhelmed. 

My sister found out she has the BCRA 1 gene earlier this week so I have to go for testing for that too now. 

My mum has thickening in breast and has apt at breast clinic Monday; this is before we even know about gene. Sis and I haven’t told her yet as she asked not to know until after appointment but of course this now adds to the worry hers could be cancer too. 

As a family I’m not sure how much more we can take! 

• FormerMember

Oh Emily sounds terrible …. Take each day as it comes and try not to worry too much. I have everything crossed for you, your mum and sister….

• FormerMember

Thank you Pray 

• Hi

How have you been these last couple of weeks? Have you got the dates through for your ops yet?

I also hope you've had the chance to talk to your family about how you're feeling and that they now understand that being diagnosed with melanoma is just as frightening for you as being diagnosed with any other form of cancer.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"