Recently diagnosed SCC

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Although diagnosed with a BCC on the cheek the results of the biopsy state it was a SCC which has been completely excised.  The letter states the histology results will be discussed at the local Skin Cancer Meeting and I will be advised of the outcome in due course.  Do I need to worry about this?  How long should I wait?  Getting to this stage has been a nightmare with GP zoom call that referred me for something else.  The referral letter not being sent.  Consequently the Dermatologist looked at the wrong lesion and was in no rush to see me.  Only by good luck at someone cancelling their appointment did I get seen at least 4 weeks earlier.  Then having to wait 8 weeks for the histology because the lab aren't sending the results through.  I had come to a level of acceptance that it was a BCC.  Finding it is a SCC  has come as a  shock and I feel I have gone back to square one.  I like to cycle/run/walk.  Now I'm scared to go out the front door.  

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you've just been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) after thinking that you had a basal cell carcinoma (BCC). That's great to hear that it's been completely removed so hopefully the MDT (multidisciplinary team) meeting will conclude that you won't need any further treatment.

I can fully understand how you feel about going outside having myself had a melanoma diagnosis nearly 5 years ago. 

The first summer after I was diagnosed I found myself crossing the street to walk in the shade but the following year vowed I was going to stop being quite so paranoid in the sun.

Unfortunately, if you've had any type of skin cancer you're more at risk of getting another if you don't protect your skin from the sun. This doesn't mean that you have to stop doing things you used to enjoy doing in the sun, unless that was sunbathing, but you need to change some things to protect yourself.

When I was diagnosed I was told the following was necessary to protect myself in the sun and thought that you might find it helpful:

1. Stay out of the sun during the strongest time of the day (11am to 3pm) between April and October inclusive in the UK and in all months of the year in any other part of the world
    2. When going outside wear long sleeved tops and trousers/skirts made from natural fibres like cotton
    3. Wear a broad brimmed hat (brim should be at least 3 inches) and sun glasses
    4. Sit in the shade and never sunbathe 
    5. Any part of your body that is not covered, ie face, neck, back of hands should have a sun protection cream of SPF 50 that is effective against both UVA and UVB rays
    6. Re-apply the sunscreen as directed on the bottle
    7. Never use sunbeds
    8. Don't use sunscreen instead of covering up

The first summer after I was diagnosed was particularly hard as I used to enjoy sitting in the sun. However, I quickly got used to the new regime and have a selection of hats to choose from when I go out. I also decided that I now needed a whole new wardrobe so went on a shopping spree. So, every cloud has a silver lining!

I leave a hat permanently in the car so if I forget to take one with me I know I'll have one. Leaving a tube of sunscreen in the glove compartment is a good idea too.

A couple of years ago I went to Australia to visit my sister and I still went on the beach and swam in the sea. However, instead of sitting in the sun, I stayed in the shade and I only went in the sea for a short time. Ironically it's easier going on holiday somewhere like that because nearly everyone covers up as they're so aware of the damage the sun can do so I didn't feel a freak in long trousers and a hat!

My friends know that I need to sit in the shade so if we're going to be sitting outside we try to look for a table which means that I can sit in the shade while they can sit in the sun if they want to. If I'm with people who don't know why I need to be in the shade I don't necessarily tell them but will just say something along the lines of "I prefer to sit in the shade" or "it's too hot for me in the sun".

I hope that helps a little but if you want to ask anything else please do.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I have had an SCC too and I’m also a keen cyclist and hill walker. Hats are awesome - my son calls mine my mad old lady collection - cheeky sod! With my cycling gear, I wear spf 50 sun sleeves from solbari (an Australian company who also have a great collection of hats with enormous brims) and leg foils from assos with my cycling shorts. Heliocare sunscreen products are light and non greasy and I keep a spare tube in my cycle jersey pocket so I can reapply on a long ride. I used to be very proud of my summer cyclist sharp tan lines. This year, my aim is not to get any! This summer I intend to document the pale state of my legs on Instagram just for a laugh! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you.  Letter arrived today to say No treatment required just a review in September.  I have taken on board all the advice about staying out of the sun and protecting myself.  It's just getting the balance right and not being too paranoid or taking it to the extreme to the detriment of the activities I like to do.  I now have a selection of hats, sunglasses and sun cream which I will leave in several locations so I will always have them to hand.      It was interesting to read about visiting Australia.  I love to travel and was feeling that was the end of that.  Today I am feeling much better about everything.  I know it is a process that will feel better as time passes.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Julesonabike

I bought some spf 50 arm sleeves from Wiggle that arrived yesterday.  Thought they looked okay.  Hadn't decided what  to do about my legs thought I might just have to go to long legs.  I will take a look at the leg foils now.  At this stage I feel wary at the thought of being out all day but if I get the right clothing then I'm sure I will get more confident.  Have you a helmet with a visor?  It is going to be odd trying to stay pale this summer.  Thank you for taking the time to reply

• If you manage to locate some bib longs that aren’t thermal please let me know - I have totally failed on that one, hence the leg foils! I don’t tend to wear a helmet so it’s a cap with a big peak.