Re mole telephone consultation

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 35 subscribers

But Of back ground my name is Charlotte had a appointment gp re a mole gp done a referral for two weeks hospital contacted me sent pics I believe doctor has looked at them and booked me a telephone consultation this is all Ona week rather worried what doas this mean any one can help many thanks 

• Hi Charlotte and welcome to the online community

I assume that you were worried about changes to an existing mole or the growth of a new one and that was why you made an appointment to see your GP. Your GP should have told you why he was referring you to be seen by a dermatologist at your local hospital, but it's usually because they are concerned that the mole might be a potential melanoma.

I would imagine that your telephone consultation with the consultant this week will be to tell you if he wants to examine you in person or whether he's decided, after looking at the photos, that the mole is fine and no further investigation is needed.

Do come back and let us all know how you get on

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Examination tomarrow as she was unsure from pictures fingers crossed thank you 

• I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that after the examination you won't need anything doing . However, if you do, I'm happy to try and answer any questions you might have.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember

Hello hope you ok went to my appointment went well as it could very odd she could not give me a answer to what it is it’s not a mole and is not pigmated  in her words was it was grey bland spot still has to be removed was looked at with her tool so very odd she could not give me answer thanks for everything 

• When the doctor looks at a lesion with a dermoscope, they are looking for particular features - sometimes the features are obvious and sometimes they are not and the only way to tell what the lesion is, is to biopsy it and test the cells in the lab. Dermatologists will tend to err on the side of caution and remove and test if they are not completely sure. Hope it goes ok for you.

Jx 

• Hi

Thanks for coming back to me to let me know how you got on.

I had a pink lesion on my arm which my dermatologist looked at through a dermatoscope. It's like a large magnifying glass and is probably the same instrument that your consultant used.

My consultant also wasn't sure what it was so I was scheduled for a biopsy to have it removed so that it could be sent off to the path labs to be tested. When you go for your excision ask how long the results are taking to come back in your area of the country at the moment. It can be anywhere between 2-6 weeks but it's less stressful waiting if you have an idea how long it's likely to be.

Do you have a date for the excision yet?

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Yes 26 on Monday kids are off school I have six so gonna be a bit of a nightmare but hey gonna be off what ever it is so worried I am but hey I have done all the right steps only two more to go get is off then wait 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

How long do results take 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Julesonabike

Thanks you Monday is the day 

• Glad to hear you don't have long to wait.

Results can take anywhere between 2-6 weeks to come back depending on how busy the path labs are in your area of the country. Most people seem to get them after about 4 weeks. 

When you go on Monday ask how quickly results are currently coming back so that you'll have an idea.

x

Community Champion Badge