Telphone appointment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 35 subscribers

My GP referred me to dermatology about a  small mole--  to be seen urgently within 2 weeks. I have just received a telephone appointment. A photo was  requested by the hospital.   Any suggestions on how to proceed and what to ask would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear you're worried about a small mole but it's good that you're having a telephone consultation.

I presume that you've already sent the requested photo to the hospital. If that's the case I guess they're ringing to discuss this with you. The sort of questions I'd be asking are:

• Do you think the mole needs removing?
    • If so, when will this happen and how soon will I get an appointment?
    • Will I have to take any special precautions before or after the operation because of COVID, ie self isolating before surgery?
    • If the mole is removed, how long is it currently taking to get the biopsy results?

I'll probably think of something else once I've hit 'reply'!

When is your telephone appointment?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you --  appointment is Monday.    Will let you know what happens.

• All the best for tomorrow

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember

Thank you -  telephone appointment went well .They had received the photograph.

An appointment  letter will be sent to me in a few weeks - (couldn't be more precise but I am being treated as urgent)  - for the mole to be removed.

Well done NHS.     Will keep you posted.

• Glad to hear that your appointment went well and that you'll get an appointment letter shortly.

When you have your mole removed don't forget to ask how long biopsy results are currently taking to come back in your area. Also ask how you'll get your results. Pre-covid you nearly always went to see the consultant to receive the results, good or bad, but things might be different now. I find it's less stressful when you have an idea when and how to expect them.

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Thanks - will make a list of questions - I try to write everything down as my memory isn't always good - and yes I remember things I should have asked on the way home. I'm a lot happier now I know I am going to be seen.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

My appointment   is in 4 weeks time  so not too long to wait - excellent -  didn't expect to hear so quickly -  your questions are already written down . Thank you.

• That's not too long to wait although I'm sure you wish it was sooner Slight smile

Community Champion Badge

• I have just been through a similar situation. Try to take the best photographs you can from different angles and in good day light. Has your GP said why your are being referred urgently?  - ie what kind of skin cancer doe he/she think it  might be? In the end diagnosis has to be done by excising the mole and sending it for histology to be sure what it is. I had a telephone appointment on Wednesday and then a face-to-face appointment today. I was told it would be up to six weeks before the mole would be excised  and then a waiting time for the histology results. This I think is way to long. Having spoken to the Mcmillan nurse today I understand from referal to GP to first treatment should not be longer than 62 days. First treatment not diagnosis! When doctors make a diagnosis they consider different possibilites and these are called differential diagnosis. I would be asking what the differential diagnosis are. Also  as Latchbrook below says ask how long it will be before the excision/biopsy will be done. Bear in mind that in the majority of cases the 'suspicious mole' is does not turn out to be cancerous at all and hopefully it won't be. 

• That is not too bad. I have just looked at having it done privately and found it would not be done much quicker.