Basal cell skin cancer and previous breast cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Have just been diagnosed with BCC on forehead.

I have had two different types of breast cancer in recent years and have some concerns that this skin cancer could be connected.

The consultant I saw asked no questions about my previous history of cancer and although I did say I am not convinced he listened.

I have no date for any treatment at the moment and am worried.

How can you tell if skin cancer is secondary breast cancer?

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that you've just been diagnosed with a BCC on your forehead and that you're worried that this could be secondary breast cancer.

I have used the search facility in this group but haven't found any previous posts where someone's BCC has been a secondary from any form of cancer. It might be an idea to also join and post your question in the Secondary breast cancer forum group (link) to see if anyone has experience with this.

What type of treatment has the consultant recommended to remove your BCC? Most BCCs are removed with simple surgery although there are other types of treatment depending on things like the size and position and whether you've had skin cancer before.

It's quite normal for treatment not to start for some time after diagnosis as most BCCs are slow growing and rarely spread.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

How are you, and do you have a date for your surgery yet?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi, no date, 6 months waiting list but managed to speak to consultant who listened to my concerns and reassured me that it is not secondary breast cancer and we discussed planned surgery. I have been told to ring him if the tumour changes and we will review things.

so not ideal but feel better that he knows my cancer history .

I know other people in similar situations due to back log of treatment 

• That's good to know that it isn't a secondary cancer and I hope you feel a little more settled now.

Waiting a long time to have a BCC removed isn't uncommon as they're slow growing. However, I realise that this isn't much comfort to you and I'm sure you'd rather it was removed sooner rather than later.

Keep in touch x

Community Champion Badge