BASAL CELL CARCINOMA

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi 

Just need advice. After having a spot on the end of my nose that bled on/off since December 2019, I spoke to my GP in June, sent photo's and was referred to a local Dermatology Clinic a week later. They performed a curettage and cautery that has come back as nodular basal cell carcinoma.

I now have another appointment on the 5/8/20 saying they wish to discuss treatment options.

Can anyone advise me what they may do next. 

Thank you 

• Hi , I’m sorry to hear of your BCC, I haven’t got any personal experience of that, I’ve just popped in from the melanoma group, to make sure you got a reply before the site temporarily goes into read only mode for an upgrade. I hope the link to information below helps a little.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/skin-cancer#treatment

If you need to talk to someone while the Online Community platform isn’t available, please remember the Support Line is here for you. You can contact the Support Line over email, live webchat or call 0808 808 00 00 7 days a week between 8am-8pm.

Best wishes

Take care KT

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Meg. I also have been diagnosed with a nodular BCC on my nose.  I haven't had a biopsy as it was obvious to the dermatologist what it was.  I was referred to a plastic surgeon due to the size (1cm) who will perform an excision and skin graft.  

I would imagine that the dermatologist will explain the next step for treatment which may be a simple excision with stitches.

Take care

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to KTatHome

Hi KTatHome, Thank you for this info very helpful. Will let you know how I get on after my appointment.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Catladyx, 

Good luck with your treatment, I hope it goes well. I just need to wait for my  appointment on the 5.8.20 and go from there. Will let you know how I get on. Feel a bit apprehensive and nervous but I know it will be fine.

• FormerMember

What I would recommend is that you write down any questions you think of from now to your appointment and take them with you.  I had so many questions after I had had my consultation that I had wish I had asked

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, I saw the Consultant on Wednesday. They are going to do MOH's surgery on my nose in 2 months time. He spent time explaining the procedure and said they may do possible flap surgery if they need to. Anyone been through this and how was their recovery. I feel ok but it is on the end of my nose and worried about healing and scarring. Thanks x

• FormerMember

Hi Meg, if you search for MOHS you will see numerous posts from people who have had it.  From what I have read it is the best procedure to minimise scarring

• FormerMember

Thank you will do.

• FormerMember

Hi Meg123

I have been through MOHs and forehead flap surgery October 19, It was a long process MOHs surgery then the forehead flap, then 4 weeks later the separation. I can honestly say people don’t even notice, All my friends can’t believe how good it looks, if you do have the flap take pain killers before dressing changes , those 4 weeks are difficult but so worth it. Also when they tell you to start massaging your scar do it religiously it really does give you the best outcome.

good luck

Frankie1

• FormerMember

Thank you Frankie1 for your very helpful advice. Did you need time of work? How many layers did they take if you don’t mind me asking?