Been diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi,

I've recently been diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma (today in fact) when my dr phoned me she was quite laid back about everything as its 'very common' as she put it and didnt seem to have any urgency in getting me treatment!

I'm still in stock, and very confused.... shall I be worried (I am and feel really silly for doing so), it cant be that bad if theres no rush to treat it?.. and the most silly think (think I'm still in stock!)... have i got cancer???

I feel a little stupid and embarrassed for feeling like this, just feel like I'm feeling sorry for myself and worried for no reason, theres more serious cancers other people are going though!! 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to hear that you've had a diagnosis of basal cell carcinoma (BCC) today. It must have come as a shock to you and it's hard to think of questions to ask when you receive the diagnosis over the phone.

In normal times you would have received this diagnosis face-to-face and might have been given leaflets which explain what a BCC is and what will happen next.

Your doctor is right that BCC is very common and is, in fact, the most common form of skin cancer in the UK. If you click on this link it will take you to a leaflet produced by BAD (British Association of Dermatologists) which will give you all the ins and outs.

As you will see in the leaflet, BCCs rarely spread to other parts of the body and, therefore, although a type of skin cancer it is almost never a danger to life. They do need removing otherwise if left they can eventually cause an ulcer; hence the common name of “rodent ulcer”.

Because they are usually so slow growing and non malignant, unlike other cancers you won't be fast-tracked under the "two week wait" rule and it's common for someone not to see a dermatologist for quite a few weeks after referral. How long you'll have to wait will depend on the waiting lists in your area of the country.

When you get your appointment through, the dermatologist will discuss how best to treat it. The most common way is with simple surgery under a local anaesthetic but sometimes creams are used first to see if the BCC can be removed that way.

Please don't feel silly about how you feel and any questions you want answering. At some point we were all where you are now.

Let us know when you have a date through to see the dermatologist

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you for your reply and your reassurance it's much appreciated!

I think I heard skin cancer and freaked out!

I will look at the leaflet, thank you.

It was just a shock, but like I said it could be alot worse.... and have positive thoughts!! 

I will let you know when I have an appointment 

X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

The trouble is the word cancer is such an emotive word isn’t it. I had a similar experience to you when I got the diagnosis! It seriously freaked me out but it has been ok. I’ve had surgery to remove it and surgery is never a pleasant experience but it was ok.  It was a local anaesthetic, and I didn’t feel any pain. I had the op last week so, it is still tender and feels a bit weird but apart from that it is fine. Hope all goes well with you.

• FormerMember

Thank you! 

It just feels all a bit weird at the moment like I dont know how to feel about it

It's only a little spot, like am I allowed to believe I even have cancer?? It seems so small and less serious then any other cancer!! And the dr today told me like it was just another illness, like it was nothing!!

Am I blowing it out of proportion?? Making it more than it is? 

I just dont know how to feel or how to take it!! Think I'm still in shock as I said it's a small spot and didnt think it was anything!!

Hope it continues to go ok for you too!

• FormerMember

Sorry forgot to ask

How long did you have to wait to have it removed? 

• FormerMember

Well it would have been just under two months but it was all stopped because of the coronavirus lockdown with routine ops cancelled. In the end I had to wait about four months. It was quite complicated getting in because I had to quarantine for two weeks before the appointment And then get tested two days before and when I tested negative then I could go in. Also it was a very surreal experience because I found myself just talking to eyes because all the staff were all togged up in protective gear. I also had to wear a mask. Hope this helps.